Great Trains Superliner stretch to 85'

rbrown7713

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thank you for the compliment but want to reassure you as I am 68 and feeel quite the same; I try to do details that seem to me to be caracteristic, and necessary but I stay away from much super detailing as it only leads to looking for fallen parts in the ballast (A nice bonus when you do trackwork). And out in the garden I feel that life is too short  for a lot of that glasscase modeling, myself.

As a retired stage designer, I have often been in contact with people who are competent with mold making and I must say that I admire your mastery of this often difficult technique (especially with such long  molds). It takes a lot of thinking in advancer to get it right and to obtain such wonderful results.

Best from France, Simon

Thank you very much Simon. I appreciate that compliment.  I was having coffee this morning at Bob Evans, a coffee shop just around the corner, and one of the waitresses suggested that I take a vacation, since I work 7 days, and 8 hours a day with these trains, and I told her that I am on vacation, as I would rather be doing this than anything else.  Today, I poured some bearing journals to fit some bearings in them to make a pattern for a mold with the openings for the bearings.  It seems that these trucks are super scale, so they will be sprung, easiest way to do them.  Now I have to find the proper springs for them.  I also poured some more parts for the trucks out of a mixture of  epoxy resin and flox (cotton fibers) and micro balloons.  I am trying something new, working with water clear plastic and will tint the plastic to make the windows look  smoked.  I hope these lounge cars come out good, will be interesting.  Still waiting for some more urethane, mail is so slow.  Thanks again, talk to you later. Bob.

IMG_1378.JPG

One more to pour and then stretch to 85 feet.  The first one came out almost flawless, hope the second one comes out as good.  Then another mold for the full length one and then pour it with clear plastic, that should do it, Bob.

IMG_1379.JPG

I am being held up a little, as I have to shape and polish each pane because there is a dip the full length of the roof.  I guess that this originally was an extrusion or bent with heat and caused this dip.  It will take quite a while to remove and polish these out, so this is what I will be doing for the next week. Boy this roof is long. Bob.

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

OK, ha ha.  Here are the numbers, the roof is 30.625 inches before the couplers and 85 ft.  to the center of the coupler  is 31.875 inches, so I am close, not exact.  That leaves 20 full scale inches on either side from the end of the car to the center of the coupler.  No cigar, but close.  I don't know the actual measurement from the end of the car to the center of the  coupler.  I thought it was 18 inches, so  if anyone knows, please share.  Bob.

I am 30.625 and it appears that it should be 30.9, so I am off .275 inches, a little short,  oh well, as I have said before, this is close enough for the girls that I go with. Don't tell anyone, and if you do, tell them not to tell anyone. Thanks for the drawings, they are very good. Bob.