Great Trains Superliner stretch to 85'

rbrown7713

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nice part of having a cnc router/lazer, is that one could have four machines in one.  I can run a router motor, a drag knife cutter, or I could install a lazer head on it, many possibilities. Also, when I install the pen, one has a plotter for drawing. Bob.

I don't know if you saw my build on Homemadetools. net, but here is the  whole build of my cnc router.  http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/cnc-router-build-adept-robotic-cartesian-slides-21166                                         The only difference of my build and most homemade routers is that I used Adept slides for my axis.  This way, I didn't have to build each slide.  Everything is already built.  No assembling of the slides,  with the ballscrews, and then the servos, all pre-made.   Also, instead of noisy stepper motors, I used servos, very quiet.  I probably spent 3000.00 on this project, maybe 3500.00, but it was worth it.  It is a 48 by 48 inch table. Bob. 

I think all of the longer Superliners are sewed up.  I think only ten were made and quickly bought up.  Yes, I am trying to fine tune them and add a little detail, and we shall see.  Still lots of work to do, but I am having fun. Ralph gave me a good platform to work from and that makes it easier. Bob.

While making the pattern for the Superliner mold, I realized that the weight of the urethane after pouring could deform the pattern and make the vertical concave.  So, here is what I did to combat that possibility.  I put height braces along the center of the length of the side to stop any sagging.   Here is what I came up with. Bob.

IMG_1390.JPG

I want it to look like stainless. Some of the chrome paints, when done properly, look just like metallic chrome, but that is too shiny for stainless, so I am still testing.  Adding a clear seems to dull the shine slightly, so maybe that is the ticket, so we shall see. Bob.

It was easy.  Just had to grind off some of the mount area of the side rail and the top of the bearing box.  I tried to buy some wheelsets from Gary Raymond, but the style that I had bought before, he is out of and doesn't know when he will have them made again, so I am looking into some NWSL wheels.  Yes that mold release is from BITY mold.  I only have one more pour of urethane for the roof of the lounge car and then I am finished making the large molds, all done.  I am starting to work outside again. Bob.