Great Trains Superliner stretch to 85'

rbrown7713

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, I know exactly what you mean. My back and knees are the reasons that  I elevated my rail, no scenery but makes running much easier.  I'm stiff and sore bending over the table spiking down the track on the barge.  No quick fix other than finding something else to do.  Cars are coming out GREAT.    LiG

Thanks for the encouragement Nick.  Yes, I have an on going problem with my back and when it happens, I will not know it, just happens.  Most of the time, I can do heavy work and my back is OK, but then sometimes, it seems, for no reason, bam, it hits me, something to do with a nerve from the bottom of my spine and then down into my legs.  I rest for 2 to 6 weeks and it goes away.  Sometimes I can work for months with no problem.  Oh well, what can one expect from a 73 yr. old.  I will keep on chugging until it, or me, is done. Bob.

Bob, at 72 and many years of hard work I know what you mean.  I just do what I can when I can. During periods when I can't I read many of the RR  books that I have received as gifts over the years, and am I surprised at some of the facts I am learning.  Just for instance:  the best locomotive ever produced only was 8% efficient.  Quote: Steam Locomotives cyclopedia Volume 1 by Linn H. Wescott.   Just keep on Chugging    Life is Good

I did a quick spray of one side of my F40PH. It looked good so I thought I'd hurry and spray the other side before it cured fully. Big mistake. It ran, fish-eyed, and got spray all over the black when the paper towel moved, and even thru the tape?

DSC_0242.JPG

DSC_0243.JPG

Joe, patience can sometimes be the hardest part of this hobby.  When painting the tug the paint required a 48 hour cure time, even before adding another coat.  Talk about counting hours.  Biggest mistake I ever made was attempting to add dull coat to a not fully cured locomotive.  The paint wrinkled. totally ruined had to strip and start all over.  Hope you don't have to strip and start all over.    LiG

Hey Sean, if my posts upset you so much, why do you read them.  I think that you should join an emogee/subliminal meaning forum, not a model train forum, and maybe that would make you much happier.  Your posts are far from centered on rail oriented subjects.  Can't figure out what you are trying to convey. Bob.

I though I would tell you ( humorously ) that I was watching ( not doing so well )… This is a great thread.

Sorry .. I'm  trying to not  offend you .. Some times it's hard to say what I want to say.. And I will stop.

Just Great job and keep up the great work.

Sean

Again Sorry

Well, obviously I didn't understand, sometimes I am dense.  I am glad that you enjoy my obsession and try to share what I am doing.  I hope that some of the things and procedures that I use, some can use.  I don't know how many are, but if only a few, that's fine with me. Bob.

Bob, don't feel bad, I too sometimes don't understand some things that are posted, but now that Sean explained it, I got a chuckle.  The only pic that brings to mind is 'Fail Safe', but not sure.    I also make molds and cast things from different materials.  Latest is using JB Weld to cast lawn mower parts, very happy with them.

Keep up the good work and keep posting. 

Yes, I guess that JB weld is a sort of epoxy and I use epoxy all of the time.  Before I started using urethane, I made my molds out of epoxy and fiberglass and the only thing about that was that the molds couldn't wrap around the part because one would get mold lock and you couldn't get the part out, but with soft urethane that doesn't matter, you just bend the mold off of the part, much more user friendly.  Wouldn't you know it, I cut ten window frames with one 1/32 inch end mill with no breakage and the last window cut, I have broken two, so I am going to the store to buy two more for the last cut. Bob.