UP Steam Shop Tour

Jerry B44

I was able to get to Cheyenne for the last tour of the UP Steam Shop. It was a fund raiser for the museum in the depot. We rode trolley's over to the shop from the depot. Ed met us there and we had to wear hard hats and earplugs. He started with the history of the shop, which used to be much larger and in the steam days employed 3000 workers in 3 shifts. Some of the original machinery has been restored to use on the steam fleet. They have also invested a lot in CAD machinery to make their own parts from the UP drawings. They are trying to make as many new parts as they can, instead of using old parts they remove, unless they are in very good shape. They do make extra parts for spares. Parts they can't make are farmed out, as the wheels are right now getting new tires. Parts are all over the shop on pallets. They were welding on the BB, so we could not get real close, he said the date they are shooting for is 2019. That is the reason that 844 is only doing the Frontier Days Special next year, so they can focus their 9 man crew on the BB.  He did talk about moisture problems on steam engines that are idle, they keep a heater going in 844's boiler at all times. The Challenger is due to be restored after the BB is done. A tour of the Roundhouse followed.

The BB front frame was cleaned and painted by volunteers, some of which were original volunteers of bringing the Challenger back to life. The shop has had the dropped ceiling removed for easier access to the top of cars and a new 40 ton overhead crane(yellow in the pix) is being installed, not the 240 ton that used to be there to lift up whole engines.

I was impressed by the organization and focus they have on doing an extensive restoration that should last for a long time.

IMG_8265.JPG

IMG_8245.JPG

IMG_8246.JPG

IMG_8247.JPG

IMG_8248.JPG

IMG_8249.JPG

IMG_8250.JPG

IMG_8263.JPG

Me and E9.JPG

Thanks for sharing Jerry :Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):

One of the things I have always admired about the groups that do this type of work is the ability to disassemble all of these piece parts and then be able to keep good enough track of where everything belongs and goes back many months later when putting it back together.

Cant wait to see this engine in operation!  

Looks like they have had new drawbars made for it as well, very interesting.  One thing that seems apparent to me based on what I had seen with the last work done on the 844 is they take an item and completely strip it down and make all new again.  Like the brake stand on the 844, going back and having gaskets and seals made that probably haven't been made in 50+ years.  The UP is making a Big investment in the steam program, thank you Union Pacific!

I really hope this thing looks like the 844 when done (flawless boiler jacketing etc).  Be nice to see it in pristine condition :Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):