USAT GP38 Plastic Details fixing advice

diesel54

Hi everyone, I am a brand new member to the site, but have been following for some time. I'm hoping to get some advice on repairing (taking out) broken plastic details pieces on a USAT GP38.  I recently purchased a used GP38 in SP livery that is good cosmetic and operation condition, but there are multiple broken plastic pieces. Some with a little bit of the plastic sticking out and some that were a clean break, flush with the body but plastic still stuck inside. I was wondering some advice on the best way to remove these pieces so I can install the new detail pieces. I'm with some small pliers that I can get out the ones that are sticking out slightly, but how the heck can I remove the flush broken pieces.  I attached some pieces. Thank you guys so much in advanced and looking forward to talking to ya'll.

Mike

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

Drill small holes in the center of them then knock them through with a small punch and hammer. Or maybe able to just knock them thru with a small punch. 

Like the front where the steps or plow mount look at them from the backside and see if there's any glue residue...if not just push them thru from the front with anything that will fit...center punch, small drift punch or even a big pin.

Side lower steps will need to be drilled as USA usually glues them from the backside.

The horn can be drilled then use a small screw to thread into a ways then use pliers to extract. May be able to push it thru as believe there is room for it to fall into cab roof. I've seen USA glue them sometimes so kinda touchy feelly. Removing the cab and getting to that from the inside is kinda pain in the ass.

Get some small drills and pin vise. Drill sets for cleaning acetylene torch tips come in handy as that's a cheap way to get some small bits.

Here's what I mean and not really a bad deal considering it contains a bunch of tiny drills and a holder.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/WLD7771507

Or can search pin vise and then tiny drill bits. Ace Hardware usually carries small drill bits and should have a pin vise. Welding supply stores will have them too.

The best is to get the parts coming from USA Trains...Talk to Mike at USA Trains parts and order...or they may have them online. After you get the parts can measure what size holes you need with a micrometer.

Which Chicago are are you in as I'm located out by Elgin.

Awesome, such good information. Thanks a lot Chuck, I really appreciate that.  I'm actually in the city - I've been into HO and O previously, and this is my first endeavor into G scale.  This is actually my first locomotive purchase.

You picked an excellent locomotive for your first one. I have a KCS 38-2 and I really enjoy it. 

Also thanks for the pics as that actually helped my dilemma. I was wondering if USA Trains mounted the horn with a screw, but it appears they don't... So now I can get to relocating it to the dynamic brake. ( And hopefully find the right K5LA24 or RS5T horn...) 

Also you can use a chisel blade exacto to cut what you don't want flush with the pilot, cab etc. 

Cottonwood.jpg.thumb.jpg.578eb6fbba07423c1d676575637c8656.jpg

009.jpgLove my GP38 units. Was lucky to score 2061. Then detailed them from the other photo near Cottonwood 1991. No ditch lights on either loco. Some light weathering on the trucks and lower half with Chalk dust and LED headlights. RCS remote and Dallee sound.  Made the plows myself and sprayed with Tamaya harbour mist gray. Kadee couplers.

Edited by Grant-Kerr
Bad URL