RECORD ONE'S OWN SOUNDS ON A LOCOMOTIVE SOUND BOARD?

ssculptor

The MTH Protosound 2 and 3 boards have that capability built-in to record sounds and play them back on command.  This is as auxiliary sounds, not replacing the standard engine chuff/rev, horn/whistle, etc but the sounds can be whatever you want them.

Required:

- MTH Protosound 2 or 3 board (Generally going to be installed in engine) + Speaker

- MTH TIU (Track Interface Unit) + MTH Wireless Remote control 

Are you saying that I can install the required MTH boards and controls in any brand locomotive I have?

I have just returned to G model railroading after years away from the hobby. Can I use MTH remote control,, too, in other brands of locos?

Also, as long as I am on the topic, can I run  all this with a battery power source? The tenders are pretty large nowadays and I could put batteries in them, or in the first car following the tender. 

Or, in other words, convert the whole shebang to MTH operations, including the smoke apparatus.

Thanks,

Stephen

Yes, it can work in any manufacturer locomotive.  The key requirement for the PS2 / PS3 board to work is the engine needs a flywheel so if it doesn't have one, one needs to be added/installed.  (It's what provides the precise speed control)

Yes, it can run under battery power.

Thank you, guys.

Now that I know what can be done the next step is to set up my work room and unpack everything. We had a disastrous fire two years ago and are just now moving back into our repaired home. Its like living in a warehouse right now but we are making progress in unpacking, etc. This spring I will get the outdoor layout erected and I'd like to have all the trains carry their own batteries. I can run a 75 foot track each way and I do not trust getting even power to all parts of the route so I feel it best to have every train carry its own power source.

Should be fun.

Stephen