Chesapeake and Ohio class M-1 (Steam Turbine)

Rayman4449

I would have preferred not to see the real thing so I could continue to deny they existed!

Now staring at these, I see what would have happened if a GG1 crashed into a whale. :Smiling_Face_Emoji_large(150x150):

Sorry, I couldn't hold back. I did not know so many pics of these existed.

and ....

Apparently management and engineers did not know how tall they were???

• 11 months later...

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.33216eed463b764fcd698f7dab35e71e.pngHi there steam fans: I find this engine a real awesome machine. I like streamlined engines and modern steam developments. I have read a few times that this incredible locomotive did not fulfill what had been expected of it; which is why the C&O RR streamlined a few hudsons in a hurry to replace them in hauling streamlined passenger limiteds, for which they had been designed. Does any one know where there is a good account of their tests to read? I would be very interested to read it. I have found accounts of N&W's John Henry, of the PRR T1 and S1 and this I have never been able to trace anything about it.

In any case thanks Ray for posting these fantastic photos.

On another subject linked to this locomotive there are some add work done for the PRR which show a design (By Raymond Loewy likely) of an advanced engine which the PRR was working on in the late thirties very similar to this C&O turbine. Could it be that the C&O would have borrowed the plans of the PRR? This was common practice over here in France, even between private companies, but doesn't seem to have been in the US.

Here is a better view of the locomotive project which won't infringe copyright laws.