UP Centennials

Chuck

Anybody know the exact dimensions and details of the trucks under these? I have seen them scratch built in G and I know they are available in the smaller scales. It would be interesting to see exactly what G scale trucks that are available, could be used to replicate these.

The way that MTH builds their C trucks, the middle axles are dummies. It would be cool to get power to all the axles.

See the source image

See the source image

In 1:29 scale the trucks measure roughly 9-3/4" long. The killer is the wheelbase as in 1:1 they measure 5'-8", 5'-91/2", 5'-8"....All the 2 axle EMD trucks on say F Units, GP7 & GP38's used an 8' wheelbase. In 1:29 wheelbase is like 2-3/8"...kinda tough to cram a motor in there.  

Curious as to who scratchbuilt these truck in G scale?

Those are pretty crude as no windows, number boards or lights and it even looks like the fans are one piece. That guy on MLS that passed away was using SD trucks with floppy axles gone and drive blocks cut up and glued together. Personally I'm thinking of using MTH 2 axle drives with all metal gears and every wheel having traction tires.

You know it looks like Dennis S. is selling out. Watching eBay he sold his USA Big Boy and lots of trains...now selling off his parts inventory. Year or so ago he filed bankruptcy because his restaurant business is doing bad. 

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

In 1:29 wheelbase is like 2-3/8"...kinda tough to cram a motor in there.  

The MTH motor blocks for their C truck Dash 8s are roughly 2 1/2" centers. Their PA's look like 2 7/8" centers roughly.

I would be tempted to use the MTH dash 8C truck and add another axle. It would be great to have at least that extra axle driven. Maybe a flex joint shaft driving the same gear ratio to worm box? What box that would be?????

Not sure that's even possible to add to the end of a MTH gear box?

All four axles driven would be fantastic! It would be cool in the future to see brushless motors attached to the scale axles the way the real traction motors are. It will make adding flywheels interesting!