3D printed DLP window frames and mold made

rbrown7713

I decided to have someone make me some Superliner frames made on a DLP 3d printer and compare them with my mold made frames.  While I am surprised that, from a distance, the 3d frames look pretty good, but looks aren't everything.  The shape has to be well defined to have the glass fit accurately, as the lip is only .010 inch.  I can fit the glass into my frames, while a challenge, the 3d frames wouldn't work very well, because the .010 inch lip is not as well defined and cause the glass not to fit.  I agree that this is an extreme example of small parts made by a 3d printer, but as I stated before, every machine has its limits.  Now if these were printed on a resin type printer, the results might have been better, I don't know, but the cost would have doubled.  The printer that these were printed on cost in excess of 6, 000.00 and a resin printer, a good one would be way above that.  So, like I said before, when they make a 3d printer that I can afford and it prints a part as well as one made from a mold, I will stick with my molds. Bob.

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG