New type of rail clamp

Jim Miller

I believe the inherent flaw to these, is that they squeeze the rail on a limited area. That lessons the surface area of contact and also causes stress on the screw itself. The older ones you describe, have stripped out when abused or overtightened.

When you live in harsh climate change areas, you need the best to hold up outside. I imagine it's different in certain parts of the country. We go thru 100 degree temperature swings up here. Add to that how hot the rail gets above the air temp??, directly in the summer sun.

4 hours ago, Jim Miller said:

When you're old with bad knees, hips and back, the Aristo type are easier to install. I still use the Aristo in difficult to reach areas. I may try these new ones................Jim

You can try pre-assembling sections up on the bench. It's better to do that when there switches or tight small areas to get into.

I am getting up there too so someday soon my whole RR maybe elevated.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:14 AM, Jim Miller said:

Anyone try these rail clamps?...........................Jim

http://www.bima-modellbau.de/product_info.php?language=en&info=p90_.html

100 Track connector for Garden railway G Scale with VA Nirostasc

I have some similar made from stainless steel I saw them in a magazine being sold under the name "the conductor" think from "SanVal".

I have used them to go over brass slide on joiners to reinforce them when on a curve to prevent kinking. 

From memory they were intended to increase conductivity by clamping the slide on joiners.

I found them better than conventional clamps because the screws were on top and I didn't have to get down on my knees to fix them (not getting any younger) and they have not come loose in the 10 years they have been down.

I painted them black to disguise them.

I might look at these ones for my new elevated layout that I will be starting in 2 years time.