PRR Railroad Barge

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's tip that I found useful when hand laying track on the barge and maybe even for main and branch lines. After roughing up the bottom of the rail I used Epoxy to adhere the tie plates to the rail. I could then make minor adjustments of alignment and then drive the nail. With the plates and rails as one made driving the nails much easier. Almost have the divergent rail in place. Still havin' fun. LiG

finished part of the divergent rail. As the pic shows I used a couple of Hillman's on top o the rail to keep them aligned while nailing. It only required a little bit of filing to get the sharp points off the ends. Again using the truck just pushed it and let the momentum carry it both ways without any guidance and all went well. 

After just this little bit of hand laying track I have a new found respect for those of you who do. 
Trying to add detail I have tried to order Rail Joiners or Fish Plates from Ozark using EM and VM but have not received a response. Hoping all is well and they are just attending a function. LiG

DSCN0513.JPG

DSCN0515.JPG

Sean, not yet, I wanted to get the weight of the track nailed down first.  Then I will weigh the cars for their combined weight, these cars will be dedicated to this project but can still be rolled off and used as a regular consist.  I then can lay the pipe on the two outer rails and they won't roll off.  Can then add the sand as needed.   Once it s where I want it I can secure them to the bottom.

Started another thread with a paint ????

Track is all welded (spiked0 down. Had to lay the barge down as the ceiling isn't high enough for me to get the whole thing in. Now going to make the aligning pockets and other small details. The cleats for the barge and the tires for the tug are arriving today. Looking for or will make bumpers. Still haven't herd from Ozark so will most likely make one set of Fish Plates and then cast the rest using the Micro Mark system. I have even made lawn mower parts using their casting product. Life is Good.

fullsizeoutput_34c.jpeg

The cleats arrived yesterday. I'm very happy with the size. Slightly modified them as the tug will actually be pulling the barge with them. The brads will be slightly counter sunk and the hole filled in. LiG

DSCN0526.JPG

DSCN0521.JPG

DSCN0525.JPG

I have made a mistake in attempting to order or manufacture Fish Plates. After a very careful examination of the posted pics of the barge it appears that the rail is welded. I did find where I am missing guide rails on the single track and am adding them. Now focusing on the end rail bumpers and ground throw. LiG

Sean, Yes I must be, it does appear to be all steel.  After closely watching and stopping the video (and taking pics of my monitor with a camera as the site wouldn't allow down loading) I got a much better look of the build. It's the connecting deck that is wood with the usual wooden ties, tie and fish plates.  BUT, if I really want to install fish plates I have found a gentleman in Australia that is possibly willing to 3D print some.  Still talking about that.   Have I mentioned   Life is Good

Thanks for your concern, and yes, I am getting better day by day and will be back outside soon. I didn't like the way that I was doing the Superliner lounge windows, so I am re doing them. Bob.

Just received beautiful bumpers that are offered by locomotivejoe.ecrater.com He also carries other useful things in G scale. I will make them removable so they are less likely to be damaged during transportation. LiG

fullsizeoutput_353.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_355.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I'll call this the 'safety station'.  As you can see it is also removable for transportation.  The actual pic's of the barge didn't show a fire extinguisher, but I will add one when it arrives.    LiG 

DSCN0542.JPG

fullsizeoutput_358.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_359.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_35a.jpeg