PRR Railroad Barge

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Last wek I saw a special about unusual Railroads, this one was mentioned. According to the author this barge still transports 24,000 cars each year, I thought that was amazing.
Even thought the rails are most likely welded I still like the look of Fish Plates. Found a company, 'Shapeways' that does 3D printing. Ray was very responsive and interested in making them for 332 rail. We exchanged Emails and measurements. I received and am very happy with them and the price was competitive if you are using many of them. The company also offers many other devices, signal towers to mention one, you may be interested in. Also received the fire extinguishers. 
No pics as I am still recovering from a hard drive crash, that's still hit and miss. Only comment is Geek Squad great service on recovering data and Solid State Hard drive replacement is the way to go. Life is Good

So do I, but I am turning it into a learning experience.  About Digital Hard Drives and different types of back up hardware as I don't feel comfortable with the ICLOUD feature.  The Digital drive and back up equipment is very inexpensive and easy to use.  Maybe others can learn from my happening.    Life is Good

Sean, they are printed in quote "White Natural Versatile Plastic which is a laser sintered nylon powder.  The first coat of glue will be absorbed into the sintered nylon and the second will bond well".    In a later Email Ray told me they can be primed instead of applying a base coat of glue, which you see.   After this my next step will be to float and ballast it.  That will take a bit.    LiG

Building the test pond wasn't as bad as I had envisioned. the pond is on a patio slab that is pitched away from the house as one pis shows. Ruler pic shows water depth of 10" and the barge is 5 1/2" high so about 3" is below water. My first look it seemed like it was listing. the pics of the levels show differently. The first silver one is the deck pitch and the second one is the deck Fore to Aft and the blue one is Port to Starboard. I also took measurements of the draft, show the bow 1/4" higher than the stern. I am going to use 10 empty hoppers that each weigh 1 3/4lbs and 1 tank that weighs 2.0 lbs, so about 20lbs. I'm happy with the results. LiG

DSCN0562.JPG

DSCN0563.JPG

DSCN0564.JPG

DSCN0565.JPG

DSCN0566.JPG

DSCN0568.JPG

DSCN0570.JPG

DSCN0571.JPG

DSCN0573.JPG

Bob, thank you.   Thank You Sean, I first have to paint the whole thing, deck, plates and rails as it first left the ship yard.  Then I am going to try the rust wash as I had described in a different posting.   LiG

I added dish soap to break surface tension and make the water wetter. Diluted the red paint and took K's advice and used a brush. Had water and air hoses at the ready. I used the air to blow the paint from under the rail. I separated some of the original diluted red and added some black. I hope it looks better. Cleaned off the rail tops, still haven't dull coated it yet as I'm not sure if this is the final look. Just realized I don't have a ground throw, need to look for one. Pics: 1: just primer from boat yard. 2: just red. 3 & 4 with the black added. 5 & 6 close ups so you can get a real look. Suggestions appreciated. LiG.

fullsizeoutput_365.jpeg

DSCN0590.JPG

fullsizeoutput_36a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_369.jpeg

DSCN0598.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

I mixed more black into the diluted paint I was using to try and follow Scott's suggestion. Not very good, but as close as what I thought he meant. I have no artistic ability at all, so may leave it at this. Took it outside to get the same light as the other pics. The sun shine is different, the previous were in the shade and this is full sun. It is darker where the crew would walk and lighter between the rails. I do like how the sides came out, really looks like running rust. I had an idea: I used a hose and rinsed it off. It didn't seem to have any effect on the paint, but a foam seemed to rise and run down and off. The foam stayed bubbly till it soaked into the soil, I have no clue what that was, any ideas????
I did find a grown throw made by Bachmann, should have it in about a week.  
Happy 4th to all. LiG

EDIT:  I was reminded on another forum that I had put 1 drop of dish soap in 1 quart of water.  It sure produced a lot of foam.     

fullsizeoutput_36f.jpeg

DSCN0604.JPG

DSCN0605.JPG

DSCN0606.JPG

After much trial and error I think I'm close to the desired effect that Scott described, making the walked on areas grimy. . While waiting for the ground throw going to make coal loads for the hoppers. I will take NOWLW's advice and use foam as a base so they'l float. LiG.

fullsizeoutput_377.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_379.jpeg

I received the Bachmann ground throw. It has a seal to prevent the elements and insects from gaining access to the gears, a nice touch. I lowered the height to better fit the profile of the barge rails, also had to shorten the throw distance, it comes with that ability. Modified the indicator so it is low and added an arm like the pics of the one I am modeling. Now to the cars. Still having fun. LiG

DSCN0624.JPG

DSCN0625.JPG

DSCN0626.JPG

Started on the cars. first dropped one without trucks in the deep sink, it floated and grudgingly sank when I filled the hopper with water. Added the metal wheels and it did float, but much lower and a little disturbance of the water and as soon as water breached the side it went down. Adhered two layers of insulation foam into the car. After it cured it also went into the deep sink. Between the foam and the trapped air I was confident it would float, and it did. I will now add a layer of Black Diamond fish tank charcoal. Nine more cars to go. LiG

DSCN0628.JPG

DSCN0629.JPG

DSCN0630.JPG

DSCN0633.JPG

DSCN0635.JPG