PRR Railroad Barge

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nick,

I am surprised I never found this place before.  I see many names here I recognize and know.  Your barge thread shows up so much better here than the other place you posted - and where I commented.  Liked the aquatic experiments with the hopper. :Wink_Emoji_large(24x24):

Alan, thank you.  I like to try things out, some times without success, but enjoy them either way, and appreciate your input.  After thinking on it for a bit, I need to add a small layer of foam running down the center of each hopper to better simulate the coal load.   LiG  

I don't now what the products called Nick, but one of my sons is a builder.  A couple of years ago he brought me a tub of black granules, plus the special glue to use with them, which was a left over from a job.

These granules are the type of thing that is used (in England anyway) in children's play areas around roundabouts and swings.  If a child has a fall they are 'spongy' to land upon and the child does not get the grazes or cuts encountered with tarmac or concrete.  I coated six Bachmann  plastic 1:22.5 with them - a great improvement I add.  I also used them at grade crossings and some station areas.

Alan, I don't know what Is used in England, but I have helped in the construction of 'play ground' facilities.  I was supplied with was chopped up used auto tires.  But these were very large chunks, much too big for the coal application.  So I am thinking the product you are using is different than I have seen.  I will do a web search to see what else other than ground up tires I can find,  thank you for the tip.     LiG

22 hours ago, Screwy Nick said:

Alan, I don't know what Is used in England, but I have helped in the construction of 'play ground' facilities.  I was supplied with was chopped up used auto tires.  But these were very large chunks, much too big for the coal application.  So I am thinking the product you are using is different than I have seen.  I will do a web search to see what else other than ground up tires I can find,  thank you for the tip.     LiG

I have been wondering what I could compare my 'black granules' with and this morning I realized that the instant type coffee granules would be a comparison for size.  Not the powdered stuff! :Wink_Emoji_large(24x24):

Alan, thank you for the info.  I did a web search yesterday and  found nothing used here for play gorounds that small.   I will not give up yet, I'll keep looking.  I am applying a strip of foam down the middle of each car to give the load a better look than just flat.   LiG

BTW, Penguin's are my second favorite, dogs first.   

I sanded the sharp edges off the center scraps and adhered a layer of charcoal to the base. After it dried I poured off the still loose material. Then dampened the existing load and poured more charcoal into the hopper. After letting that dry, and pouring off the excess I sprayed the load with a very dilute solution of adhesive. Only 9 more to go. I am self debating that after I'm sure it's fully cured if I'll give it a quick spray of gloss black? LiG

fullsizeoutput_37c.jpeg

DSCN0641.JPG

DSCN0642.JPG

Rather than add paint that with my luck may not blend I took the patience and adhered a few grains of charcoal to the spots where the white showed through. The pic is in the day light where it is most likely to be seen. Along with that is the coal load from the tender of my AML switcher, it is a little dull from dust, mostly to compare the grain size. Included also is the load from the tender of my K4, While modifying it to be compatible with propane I broke the load and had to replace part of it using the charcoal. Nothing in any of these pics have been touched up with paint or any other medium. Enjoy, LiG

DSCN0643.JPG

DSCN0645.JPG

DSCN0655.JPG

DSCN0654.JPG

This part of the project is finished, accept for the decals which are being printed, now on to the tug. That is neither train or steam so the next post on this will be down the road when both are on the water. I enjoyed the build and hope you did also. I want to thank those that have offered advice on how to make it better. I thought just a coal train may be booring so I put my beer train on for a difference. Life is Good

DSCN0658.JPG

DSCN0659.JPG

DSCN0661.JPG

fullsizeoutput_381.jpeg

DSCN0666.JPG

DSCN0668.JPG

Alan, thank you for your words of encouragement.  

Sean, very carefully, no joke.   Stan has the purposed draft and I asked for his 2 cents also.  Worst scenario, I sand it down, repaint it and decal it over again.   LiG

• 2 weeks later...

I guess you are pleased with the finished project, Nick.  

You are probaby ccorrect in saying that the barges (rail ferry) were not named.  However, nearly all, if not all, of the barges that are generally permanently coupled to pushing tugs that sail the Great Lakes are named.  The barges change when under repair as do the tugs.  I believe those that work the Hudson and East Rivers are similarly named, so why not yours. Thinking about it, there must have been some form of identification.  Railroads are not noted for anonymity of their inventory :Clapping_Hands_Emoji_large(24x24):

Well done my friend well done!!

I'm honored ! Were honored ! photo.jpg-1.jpg.bf002805a2fc0df861705d4615951b7c.jpg He is missed and this is beyond words...

I know what Tank would of said....  Do we get cake @ the dedication ?

Thanks Nick!

Alan, thank you for the interesting history. I saw a fleeting pic, which I have not been able to find, that this barge has/had the designation NYC420 on the left bow.

Sean, Life is Good, and our little ones enhance that,    cake---   of course.    Enjoy.