Amtrak

Chuck

So from what I've been reading online lately is it appears that Amtrak maybe dropping the long distance trains. 

Here's some excerpts taken from a recent meeting...

Report – Richard Anderson, Amtrak CEO – Remarks to California Rail Summit and Questions and Answers

19th April 2018

Fleet renewal:  His remarks on fleet renewal focused on the Amfleet Ones that are 45 years old and operating under FRA waiver, and the P42 locomotives.  They will be  replaced by DMUs and a few locos.  The P42s are unreliable, forcing them to use two units instead of one. “I don’t like carrying a spare”.  The locomotives are Tier Zero and  operate with an EPA waiver, which “they would not get if a private company”.

Operational Concept – Amtrak’s market opportunity is in corridors of 100 to 400 miles (he wavered a couple of times on that and said 300 miles) and would be operated   by DMUs. DMUs are lighter weight, more environmentally friendly.  His concept is something like an Acela with diesel power.  This would need investment by the States   and cooperation by the freight railroads.  I noted that he did not specifically say that the long-distance trains would go, only that corridors are the future.

He hinted that spare Superliners would go to the Surfliner and other corridors.

The long-distance trains cost $750 million a year to operate. Corridors are better.  Only 4% of passengers travel end to end.  Under PRIIA he believes that he has to   operate at lower cost and more competitively. 

Doesn't look good for the long distance trains...then again I was saddened to see the UP name trains go away in 1971.