Adding rust

Adding rust to the barge:   I have had 0 success with any attempt at weathering so don't do it.  I had an idea and would like to float  and see what others think.   All pics of barges show them heavily rusted.  Those familiar with Home Depot know that you can have them mix small sample jars of any color you want.  It is water base so can be diluted as much as you want.  I thought of diluting way down, pouring it on and then with a hose of clear water a quick wash and let it run down on it's own.  THOUGHTS PLEASE????

Sean, thank you. The Camo is interesting, not the color I am looking for.  I don't think I can get the 'run off look I want with a spray.  Preparing a piece of wood exactly as the deck and once it cures I'll try my idea.  Still open for suggestions.    LiG

Sean, from what I have seen on the posted pics, the rail, plates and everything else is painted grey to help prevent rust. Since like there is no real traffic or time for grease or grim to collect as the water that washes over the deck just washes it away, which in the end adds rust.  Can't re-produce  them, but can  direct you to the posts of John Carmichael in the PRR Rail Barge thread which show many pics and video's of barges. Some other pics I have seen, that seem right out of the yard, everything is painted grey.   LiG