Yardtrain

Canyon walls

I am looking for ideas on how to line the walls of the canyon we are constructing. It is approx. 10 inches deep.

58630878-7626-49B3-A306-76EE05477FEB.jpeg

B0AE1E6D-67FB-4107-81E0-02CEC08ED8A3.jpeg

7030C64C-BF64-4CFD-AEE9-4ECB715BB364.jpeg

Place flag stones on edge with some in the dirt and slopping back .

Not exactly related to your post, but I would caution you about having the track in a low point. That area may be prone to stay wet, settle and collect debris. You may also want to reroute your gutter downspout. Good luck.

Brian

The gutter downspout is going to get rerouted.  The curve is the highest spot of the yard and so far haas not had any problems with water. I like the slat roofing idea but not sure if I can find it locally. 

I have ave a few of these stones that I had used as stepping stones for years but have no idea where they came from. 

FB38248A-A700-4BC3-9B4A-FFE42E357C32.thumb.jpeg.94751fc049e7b614ce0d5d7ae4de07cc.jpeg

The rocks pictured are great , you can use some thicker , but will require some more work.

In my first layout I had a cut like that. Some fine gravel on the bottom and lined it with flagstones. Worked out fine, did collect leaves in the fall, but never was a big problem.

I started the canyon late last year so I got a chance to see how the snow and rain would affect it. Because this is the highest point of the yard the canyon drained pretty well. 

It’s been raining all weekend so no excavating. Also no rock shopping yet. 

fullsizeoutput_a1b.thumb.jpeg.8df6728edf4b0b6905a9182c01ca8f4e.jpeg

Progress has been made on the Canyon.  After searching high and low we finally found some Stones that will work for us.

Stones.thumb.jpg.a2b9c24edc57bdbd60a0aaed15fc89d0.jpg

So we have been working on the canyon on & off for a few weeks. We decided on doing the Dry Stacking method of stone wall building. Since at most the wall is only 12 inches deep, partially supported and we tried to stack them leaning slightly toward the dirt. 

Center of Loop is the highest point in the yard.  It has not collected water in the past year since starting the project. So I think just a few inches of stone will do.