BIG BOY Problems

Tom51

Anyone having any problems with the latest MTH Big Boy. Mine has total of 18 hours running time on it. most of that on the stationery board. Have only been able to run on the track about 6 hours total. Got it running and it just stopped. Took it to MTH repairman and burned out motor and some other problem with a part that enables the engine to run in Europe.  Tested it out, ran fine. got it home, ran it fine after we got the thing to respond to the WIFI system. ran about an hour and it started chugging and lurching. sound went out and it just shut down. let it rest a while and it again started up. ran for about 6 minutes and started lurching again. fear another burned out motor. Getting pretty fustrated with this 1400.00 toy, think I may have a lemon on my hands. back this week to the repair guy and see what happens. beautiful engine but the damn thing just does not work. when it works its great, but it dont work most of the  time.

This is as I suspected when we talked on the phone that the burned out motor didn't make sense and I didnt think that was the problem.  The fact that you took it in and that something was done and still having problems shows the issue wasn't correctly isolated and repaired.   I have never seen a burned out motor ever on either a Big Boy or Challenger.

This is why I so strongly encouraged that the engine come back to me and no one else to let me isolate the problem and fix it correctly.  If you decide to do that then feel free to reach out.

Raymond

Ray, motor definately burned out. one of the armature things in the motor was burned up. I dont have the time to drive down and drop it off, thats why I took it to WI. I do not trust the damn pony express to get it to you undamaged. Dave is a certified MTH repair guy. does all the trains for MTH and others thru Clhoo Choo Bobs in St. Paul. he is in touch daily with MTH and is heavy into repairing trains, is also a RC flyer. even has his own landing strip and also a G layout. I will keep you posted.

I had some problems with the sound plug on the loco. But with Ray's advice I got  it hooked back up okay. Just have to be careful seperating the two I guess. Maybe the cable was a better idea?  Block layers come on THurs to start leveling out for my new railroad. Then be a lot of work laying track, many of my 25 year old ties broke. Lasted a long time!