Shay Smoke Box Paint

Screwy Nick

I found what I think is a very good color match for the 28T Shay Smoke Box. My handrail stanchions loosened on the first couple of runs. I did a very poor job of reattaching them and messed up the paint. Found this at the auto store. Silver soldered them. Only the smoke box has been painted, the stack and front are still factory color. Seems to match the 2 cylinder Shay's also. LiG

DSCN0681.JPG

DSCN0683.JPG

DSCN0684.JPG

fullsizeoutput_383.jpeg

Was advised to add clear coat while the paint is still tacky to diminish some of the 'aluminum' look. Painted scraps of brass using Dupli Color Engine Enamel DE1650 (left) and the VHT with the clear as bille described (right). The smoke box is the first painting. The difference with or without the clear is very small, but enough to make a difference. The pic is taken with artificial light may look better in the sun light, raining today. This time I also did the stack and smoke box front so they can all age the same. Didn't use the DE1650 as it has a much lower temp threshold and I don't know how hot the smoke box actually gets.. LiG

DSCN0689.JPG

Now finished: The first two cures this paint requires were done in the oven. After re-assembling the last cure was while actually steaming on rollers. Pics with artificial light again, another cloudy day. I added a new (for me) experience today. Being a bit hearing impaired sometimes use an auto stethoscope to hear the gas flow. Today I held it to several areas of the engine and was able to hear the internal workings, and maybe what one of the 1:1' sound like. Also while waiting for paint to dry and cure I added a veneer of wood to the upper bunker. The only other enhancement I have done to his loco is added a NiCr screen to the burner. Oh yea, I swapped the gearing with a 2 cylinder shay to compare the running. Very happy with the look and running of this loco. Life is Good

fullsizeoutput_384.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_385.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_386.jpeg

DSCN0706.JPG

DSCN0707.JPG

• 2 weeks later...