scratch SD70ACe test post

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe, that looks amazing! Are you taking an existing body and modifying it or is that completely scratch built?? Looks like you might mount it on a USA Trains SD70 chassis and motor blocks?

Can't wait to see more :)

Raymond

Almost completely scratch (1/32). I've put Aristo and USA parts on it. I can't get some details right. Scratch building fans for example. Truck sideframe in the pic is a USA. It will need shortening if used. The trucks and board will be MTH.

http://i252.photobuc...zpsc1be5451.jpg

of course, now that I'm building one, MTH may release one. URGGGG

post-10-0-45146100-1351033889.jpg

post-10-0-53735000-1351033911.jpg

That's looking great! I've seen fans made out etched brass that were really nice. They are flat and before installation the blades have to be bent a bit by hand.

So are you going to have it molded and cast in resin when done? Then offer them for sale??!!

I had thought about making a mold of it without the grills for duplicates. If MTH makes an ACe then I'm not sure if I'd bother for selling any. I would like multiples so I'm still considering. I may take it to a local plastic shop and see what they could do. I've heard they have huge min quantities. I may just try casting it myself. I'm not sure it would work without a big vacuum chamber?

Boy, I communicate quite frequently with the UK Master Modeler Rob Fern, the fellow that built those KM ML4000's & the Baldwin Sharknose engines in 1/29 scale and he was saying how he has his engines cast in resin..and they don't use either a pressure or vacumn chamber..they just pour it in and poke around with a piece of tubing or a brass rod to release any air that's trapped. His engine shells come out pretty dang good. His shells are thick though..like 1/4" to 3/8" in spots with a few bulkeads inside it to help with shell integrity.

Bad thing about making your own is you know where every little fault is but look over one of the manufacturers products and they're loaded with faults too. That all goes away when our trains are ziping around the tracks!

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...