scratch SD70ACe test post

Yes, it's of CSX # 4843. They are posted on www.rrpicturearchives.net

I guess I'll wait for safety. I did not use a primer. I think I should have. I didn't want too thick of paint to hide too much. Most of the shell got sanded, but not all of it. It will be a lesson I'm sure.

I sprayed this with rattle cans. I have two airbrushes and bout model paint for this. I was told it wouldn't hold up well outside so I switched brands.

There's no way to gain experience this fast on things I've never done. So even with a ton of people watching, I struggle through the mistakes. I got the time to fix it, and the practice now to make another one!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing you already have an airbrush, have a look at Vallejo colors. Their 'Model Air' line is made especially for airbrush, and I use them out of the bottle, or worst case with just a few drops of thinner added to the cup. The colors are really easy to work with, and they dry up with a very hard surface.

I haven't tried, but I'd say they will be OK outdoors. Not to be left outside, mind you, but for a garden RR where the equipment is taken indoors, when the management is absent. Perhaps try it out on a yard shed or whatever, just to see how the color behaves long term outside.

Jens

• 4 weeks later...

I had already started this project before coming to this site. I hear of guys looking at this and wanted to show them that it was just sheet plastic as a start. It took many mods and some scrapped tries.

Moderator: if this is too much space used: please delete at will.

post-10-0-58665800-1402614102.jpg

post-10-0-69090000-1402614121.jpg

post-10-0-75599600-1402614144.jpg

post-10-0-76062400-1402614157.jpg

post-10-0-62042800-1402614170.jpg

post-10-0-58613900-1402614193.jpg

post-10-0-01498100-1402614210.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm getting bad. It's hot and humid so I stayed inside.

I added this line on top of the cab in a hurry. I wish I would have made a hollow brass 90 elbow where it enters the long hood. Instead, I tried a piece of shrink to simulate the elbow. Sometimes the work just flows. Other times I'm sloppy.

I'm getting bad. It's hot and humid so I stayed inside.

I added this line on top of the cab in a hurry. I wish I would have made a hollow brass 90 elbow where it enters the long hood. Instead, I tried a piece of shrink to simulate the elbow. Sometimes the work just flows. Other times I'm sloppy.

post-10-0-47628800-1405436274.jpg

Well I would give yourself a lot of credit Joe, you've done a great job so far, I think it looks great.  Sometimes we may just be tired or something and don't have as much patience for detail stuff ;)

• 3 months later...

• 1 year later...

I never did anything more with this engine. I was making a video today and the frame being different colors bothered me enough to take action.

I still have a lot to do. I figured a quick blast of black would make it look better. Next I need to add the yellow stripes to the stair ends and sides of the frame.

DSC_1583.JPG

It doesn't look like much. I painted the steps edges yellow. The front nose stripe is actually reflective tape from Smoke Box Graphics. It'll be fun to see at night! I think the ditch housings need to match the railings with CSX yellow too. I have to look at what the colors are for the MU receptacle covers are. Then there's that gaping hole around that coupler! and grabs, and CSX nose label, and railings, and number boards, and glass, and.....

DSC_1584.JPG

30 minutes ago, enginear joe said:

Then there's that gaping hole around that coupler! and grabs, and CSX nose label, and railings, and number boards, and glass, and.....

I'm always amazed at the amount of tiny detail jobs that pop out of the woodwork after the overall lines are done.

In large scale you can simply keep detailing ... :D 

Jens

I just put a Aristo Dash 9 snow plow on the pilot. It fills it in pretty well. I'm going to make a thin plate like you did on the CNW version. It looks like the real one better that way. The stairs look like their a welded in unit and the pilot face is separate on the real thing. With the Aristo plow, it should look much better. With KDs instead of the MTH electro-couplers, it should look closer to scale too. I love the ability to drop cars anywhere. I have snapped several protocouplers now on heavy trains anyways. The KD's have never failed me. So what if they're a hair bigger than they should be. The newest version with the hidden springs, looks very good to me.

Sounds good.
The Dash 9 Snowplow is a very nice part, very thin and well-proportioned, a good choice.
Can I use for me ...
My dash 9s are all sold .... with snowplow .... a shame

My Dash 8s are not perfect, they are without Coupler liftbars.
This is difficult to build, the Ditchlights in the way ....

Thank you for your attention

d_rgw_nose.pdf

Probably hard to see. I put the glass in. It should have been flush mounted but it wasn't looking good. You could see under the glass. The side window frames should have covered that. I have to finish rigging the air lines for the sanders and the rest.

Also included a picture of an Aristo Dash 9 plow sitting in front for looks.

DSC_1592.JPG

DSC_1593.JPG

Looks good, I like that.:)
I would the edges of the side windows paint with a felt pen.
Black or silver, I think that would look good.
As a window frame.
The snowplow fits well, that will look good.

Thank you