scratch SD70ACe test post

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeap, if I could commit to the color. I'm thinking CSX.......

I thought I was close to primer. I should glue the door panels on first if I'm going to. I still need vents, grabs and holes, lift rings and holes, hand rails and holes moved.

• 1 month later...

• 5 months later...

I got some help from Daniel Peck on these fans. I just couldn't get the fins straight and enough of them crammed in. He did a computer drawing and printed it with a Afinia printer. Amazing stuff to me! these are just test samples and I'm adding some detailing still and they'll get even better.

post-10-0-40350500-1394542688.jpg

post-10-0-92009500-1394542730.jpg

• 2 months later...

I never noticed until now that the angled intakes are inset on the shell. Oh well.

After cutting door panels, I decided they didn't look right. So I just scribed some lines right in the shell. Here's how far I got on the first side:

post-10-0-38788800-1400098083.jpg

Thank you Ray!

can't seem to stay focused on it. So I'll work on her while I can! Not sure how far to go with the details? I mean, I could work on it forever. Do I just run wires and hoses? Do I do all the detailing to the most realistic I can get? I could probably make these details really work!

post-10-0-79358300-1400188379.jpg

You know I don't know that a project such as this has to be done in any certain timeline, only what works for you.  I know that for myself I could probably only handle so much of this very detail type work before I had to take breaks from it.  I think too that at some point there would be a diminishing returns for detail but that too is a personal thing!  It's looking really good!

I really did something bad. I got the engine to run first and enjoyed playing with it. That, along with struggling with certain details, kept me from moving forward. I am not in a rush. I almost slapped some paint on it last year, more to make others happy.

Of course life gets in the way too. When the roof leaks, or the back yard needs improving, or whatever takes us away from the hobby. I should have banged this out and it's embarrassing looking at the starting dates of my posts. This is the third forum I've posted this on by the way. The other two I got bullied off by a dominant poster who doesn't like MTH. It actually was my choice to leave rather than fight to stay.

I like it better here. Nice and quiet and enjoyable.

I got a tip from CRH about some vent louvers from Archer Transfers that are easy to apply. I wish there were more details in G scale. I emailed them about making door latches and more stuff for G scale. Maybe you guys could ask too?

Here they are:

post-10-0-23176000-1400260874.jpg

post-10-0-87157200-1400260890.jpg

I really did something bad. I got the engine to run first and enjoyed playing with it. That, along with struggling with certain details, kept me from moving forward. I am not in a rush. I almost slapped some paint on it last year, more to make others happy.

Of course life gets in the way too. When the roof leaks, or the back yard needs improving, or whatever takes us away from the hobby. I should have banged this out and it's embarrassing looking at the starting dates of my posts. 

Joe, it's a great looking engine, it's yours, and you are having fun pursuing a dream. Don't worry about it taking the time it takes. You should work on it whenever you feel like it or when you're inspired - that way the result will be much better. It can sit there for a year or two, and then suddenly the flame starts burning again and you start working on it.

I know about the details when scratch building. It's the blessing and the curse of modeling large scale. You can make all the details the prototype has, but you reach a point where it's getting ridiculous, because nobody will ever see it. The tricks is - I think - to include whatever details are necessary for yourself to happy with the model. You know, so you don't afterwards go "I should have added ..."

And even then, if you find out you stopped short of something that is or has become important, just add it and respray the whole thing.

I think it's a totally cool project, and the result looks like it's going to be great. It always looks horrible without the paint, and the transformation of the model when I apply the primer is always most satisfying. Then it all comes together, and I can see minor flaws that need filler or whatever.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is just hang in there.

You've got a great thing going, and if you need inspiration, call out to us. I'm sure we all have all kinds of silly ideas that you can reject, because listening to us, you may get a much better idea.  ;)

Best regards,

Jens

I have some health problems and other excuses that prevent me from working on this continually. I know you guys watch the build and I've had to put it aside several times now. I also thought that MTH was releasing a SD70ACe of their own. Seeing the builds here has pulled me back into the scratch build. I will try and complete the shell at least, so I can add paint. I now wish I had made more than one. I'll be lucky to finish anything! Thank you all for the helpful comments.

I have had better conversations with people from other countries?

anybody know how long I should wait until I can mask off the freshly painted areas?

I should have painted the blue first. I heard that it's tougher to cover the dark paint with lighter colors so I painted the light ones first. I probably should have just masked off the areas to keep the dark paint off?

Ohh - vast subject.

I use acrylic colors that can be masked after 24 hours. Even then - if my priming is not done well enough - I have experienced the paint coming off, but it only happens occasionally.

If your paint says 7 days to dry, well, I'd leave it for 7 days.

Without knowing your painting strategy or the look of the result, I would say you should be careful about the masking tape already applied. If you wait until the paint has dried to remove it, you could end up with some ugly edges.

Do you have a picture of the prototype?

Jens