new member with a LGB LOCO sound question.

robertalan51

hello, I'm brand new to the forum but have been doing RR Gardening for about 7 years but questions will always come up. Does anyone no why my LGB 23194 2-6-0 loco's chuff sound no longer works properly? It has a constant noise now instead of it's normal chuff sound. whistle and bell are normal just the chuff is not right. Thanks Rob

Thinking about this more, I would first start by determining how the chuff is supposed to be triggered... if it is mechanical / magnetic, it could be something has come loose or fallen off that triggers the chuff and would require disassembly to inspect and try and diagnose.  I unfortunately don't have a lot of hands-on experience with the LGB steam diagnosing/repairing the factory electronics.  When one in sent to me it is to replace and upgrade the electronics to something else.   

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

Hi - Are you still having a problem with your LGB steamer's sound?  I specialize in LGB locomotives and would be happy to try to help you with further discussion.  You don't state whether you're operating on DC or DCC........I recall this loco has a built-in DCC decoder function to also operate on DCC power.  It sounds like you're operating it on DC power since you're referring to the battery in the tender, which connotes using DC power.  For DCC powered operations, you don't use/need the battery.  So, perhaps the battery is defective......have you opened up the tender to check it out?  I also recall seeing another posting from someone on another large scale forum with a similar LGB loco sound problem and it turned out to be a broken wire that connects the loco to the tender and that fixed the issue.

Generally speaking, however, if an LGB sound system becomes defective, if it's the actual circuit board and not the wiring connections, it can't be fixed and you'd need to have the existing electronics replaced with a new combined DC/DCC driving and sound decoder, such as the Massoth (Germany) decoder or another brand decoder.  Massoth made the DC circuit boards and sound units, and later also the DCC systems can decoders, used in LGB locomotives up until the original LGB company (Ernst Paul Lehmann Patentwerk) went bankrupt and was bought by Marklin Germany.  In fact, besides upgrading new or used LGB locomotives with new DC/DCC decoders, I also do repairs or upgrades to peoples locos.

Tom

• 3 months later...

It's true that the original sound units for LGB locomotives can't be repaired. I had one in my LGB 2-4-0 20232 Steamer. It died and I replaced it with an aftermarket Llagos Valley Sound unit that I bought on eBay for $37.00 about a year ago. I don't believe that they are available anymore. It does the exact same sounds as the original except some modifications were required in the tender pickup so that the system would respond to the track magnets for the bell and whistle. The original had a common wire for the two sounds but the replacement had to have a separate circuit for each sound.

I run on straight DC so I don't know about DCC. I would check all of your connections, especially the lines for track power.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Rob - Did you get your locomotive's sound system problem resolved?  If not, another option is to buy the LGB 65001 Stream Sound Board to replace the factory unit in your tender.  You'd need to open up the plastic case of the LGB 65001 and remove the sound board and install it into the tender.  There are connections for the volume control and you can also install an 65012 whistle/bell sound activation trigger that installs onto the bottom of one of the tender's trucks.