MTH Kit Bashing

xl_special

Some of the 40' MTH boxcars have a pretty nice paint job. I wish MTH would make a 50' modern boxcar, but since they don't, I decided to cut up one their 40' ones. I added  roller bearing trucks and some Gary Raymond 36" wheels and a plug door. Cut off most of the MTH cast on details, and tried to match the ATSF red. It came out pretty nice, so here it is

ATSF.jpg

Nick, they just take too long and are a ton of work. I'm going to follow Bobs plan and make molds from the master. In fact, I've got everything finished except the roof. They will have 2 different sides, one plug-door and the other double door. I'll post some pictures when I get the roof done. They are both 1/32nd scale, KD820's  and scale

wheels. Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Larry: And best wishes for the new year. Very nice job you did on this 50' modern box car. Although my modeling period stops at 1957 when PRR was 100% dieselised, I am still admirative of the work you did. I did a similar job on a couple of MDC - Piko reefers lowering the body lengthening it and shortening the height of the door to make a couple of Fruit Gropwers Express reefers and remember how much work it was to do it. But I didn't go all the way and left the cast on grab irons which is a mistake.  The first photo shows where I cut and spliced as I used a Merchants dipatch white reefer sacrificed for the splices you can see very well where it was done and the last photo is the finished cars with a bit of dirty weathering mist over the lower body. The problem is that it should be narrower also... But that can't be seen when it's in a train. So I doubt if I will make more myself. Perhaps a couple of MDC boxcars to use up the leftovers of the sacrificed car. I wanted some FGE reefers as there are none and PRR was member of that. And I had found some decals also... I shall be moving south in the next few months so don't be surprised if I don't answer for a while.

P1050898.JPG

P1060008.JPG