PRR Harbor Tug

Screwy Nick

This is a Dumas kit, 1:32 scale and is battery powered. the hull halves are adhered with CA then the seam reinforced using Polyester Finishing Resin with hardner. The resin is to be applied under and over a 1" fiber glass ribbon. I've never used this product and would appreciate any experience one can offer. LiG

jersey-city-14.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here it is so far. All my apprehension of using the resin was for nothing. Warmed the house up to 75', and it went on easy. The fiber glass tape supplied went right in the tight parts using a tung depreser. Now to just wait for it to cure.

DSCN0801.JPG

DSCN0803.JPG

DSCN0802.JPG

Sean, thank you.  I really don't know.  I just like building or modifying things, trains are temporarily on hold, plus it's jut too cold to run.  I am also looking way forward to building a submersible model submarine.  LiG. 

10 minutes ago, Screwy Nick said:

Sean, thank you.  I really don't know.  I just like building or modifying things, trains are temporarily on hold, plus it's jut too cold to run.  I am also looking way forward to building a submersible model submarine.  LiG. 

Live Steam ?  that would be interesting....

Trimmed the flashing and sanded the hull for the installation of the Keel strips. A bit of a set back: the fiber glass ribbon that is coated with the resin holding the two halves of the hull together released on one side at the very top of the bow, don't know why. Mixed more resin and had some ribbon left over so I re-applied both to the inner bow. Also the bow and fan tail line up perfectly but the Skeg (hull just forward of the rudder) not so much, going to need some Bondo there. I'm having fun. LiG

Got the hull all filled in, did see one spot on the rear keel that needs to be filled. The skeg is now all squared up and took the shine off the entire hull. After filling that little piece and an acetone rub down I'll give it a dusting of primer which will bring out any irregularities that need more attention. if none show up, taking Jack's advice, I'll prime the entire hull. LiG

DSCN0804.JPG

DSCN0805.JPG

fullsizeoutput_395.jpeg

DSCN0807.JPG

DSCN0808.JPG

Gave the hull an alcohol rub down and the keel area a light coat, then wet sanded it. Had second thoughts about painting the whole hull. Supposed to be .060 thick, it is very flexible and I don't want to add several layers of paint only to have it crack. Also there is a modification to the skeg where the prop shaft now protrudes that will need to be blended. LiG

DSCN0819.JPG

DSCN0818.JPG

DSCN0817.JPG

Smoothed out the skeg where the prop shaft protrudes. Cut and installed the deck support strips. Adhered the deck halves together with wood strips. Fitted the deck into the hull and adhered it to the support strips. Installing the Bulwarks before painting so the clips don't mar the hull.
Assembled the running gears and motor. Fund one of the gear assemblies has a wobble causing vibration. Called Dumas and a replacement is on it's way, excellent service. LiG

DSCN0826.JPG

DSCN0824.JPG

DSCN0829.JPG

DSCN0830.JPG

Received the replacement gear assembly. The new one is fine, no wobble or imbalance. It is now on the bench running so the gears can wear in. Since Dumas doesn't want the defective one back I disassembled it and found the main shaft to be bent. LiG.

EDIT: Found the shaft of a worn Dremel wire brush is the exact diameter of the bent shaft.  Rebuilt the gear assembly using that and it works, now have a spare.   LiG

DSCN0839.JPG

DSCN0840.JPG

I've always liked boats. My aunt and uncle gave me a wood one they got in the Phillipines after WWII. Had a motor and it went with me many times to any water. Still have it. Made models of boats then got in the the wood kits and finally scratched built a plank on frame model of the Essex, article in a now defunct boat modeling magazine.Keep up the good work.

What a week. Thought I had filled the seam down the center of the deck before installing it. Gave the bulwark and deck a coat of paint and saw where I didn't do such a good job. Attempting to fill in the area and giving the deck a slight crown I really messed things up. While it looked pretty good after filling and sanding, the paint revealed how bad it really was. Several sanding and priming tests later I am now happy with the look. Found some really high grit paper at the auto store, up to 2500. LiG

DSCN0842.JPG

DSCN0843.JPG

DSCN0846.JPG

DSCN0845.JPG