PRR Harbor Tug

Screwy Nick

Procedure states "the coaming is designed to keep the water out of the hull". Procedure didn't show one under the fantail/drying deck, which would have as it lifts out for access to the rudder gear, I made one from a piece of scrap. The scuppers are in anticipation of water being trapped on deck. liG

DSCN0875.JPG

DSCN0876.JPG

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made some progress on the pilot house. I had to do the windows twice as the material supplied was too floppy for me to control. Local hobby shop had some thicker material that I found easier to work with. Used markers and bulbs from Harbor, I wanted them to be lit. Still need to finish painting the railings. Painted the stanchions before installing. The procedure calls for the railings to be black, my personal preference is white. LiG

DSCN0878.JPG

DSCN0880.JPG

fullsizeoutput_39c.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Made a jig/holding frame to assemble the ladder rungs to the sides. Still deciding if I want to use it with the wooden steps provided or make a fully brass ladder. The jig will make that so much easier. LiG

EDIT:  made and replaced the bottom step as it was on an angle due to the rail curve, now it is flat. 

DSCN0888.JPG

DSCN0890.JPG

DSCN0896.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3a1.jpeg

The basic cabin, used Bondo to fill in the forward bulkhead, side seams and rear structures. Used the heat gun to shape bulkhead, had to fill a couple small areas that collapsed. Made the roof removable for ease of painting and adding small details like the hand rails. Making a bending jig to form the bulkhead that attaches to the front of the cabin roof, will use the heat gun to shape that also.

DSCN0916.JPG

DSCN0917.JPG

DSCN0918.JPG

DSCN0919.JPG

Trying things that don't work are still worth noting.  I posted here a few years ago  a Rotary plow build.  Started with a box car and was about 1/2 done and scrapped it and started all over using a caboose, I was very happy with the outcome.  I have a file that I keep detailed notes on all modifications I make to anything I work on.  Sometimes have to refer to them to remember where I hid a switch or sensor, what value resistor I used etc.  I do enjoy every facet of the hobby, even the failures.     LiG

The hatches were fun. The cabin is shaped to fit the deck and there is an up swing from center to forward. The forward hatches are not perpendicular to the deck but aligned parallel to the aft buikhead. If installed using the deck as the guide they would be tilted aft. Once I realized the geometry involved I adhered the structure to a piece of cardboard with fwd elevated as on deck and marked the locations. Can now also see the hinges. I think the hatches were set up this way because ??? we have a tendency to walk upright even if the deck/floor is on an angle and if those hatches were 90' from the deck could possibly cause head injuries. Others thoughts requested.

DSCN0925.JPG

DSCN0929.JPG

DSCN0930.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing together several small projects brought the tug into reality. Procedure showed aft cabin ladder ending even with the cabin roof and had no hand holds or safety rails so getting from the ladder to the roof meant crawling. Made another simple jig and made the ladder stringers longer so the crew can stay upright from the tup rung to the roof securely. Also added short railings on each side. I especially liked the look and fit of the life boat and cover, I did drift from the suggested colors

DSCN0968.JPG

DSCN0966.JPG

DSCN0965.JPG

DSCN0967.JPG

Sean, do you mean as continuing the hand rail?    Not according to the procedure,  but that is a GREAT idea.  Just happen to have some in one of my parts drawers.  Can always count on you for enhancements.   thank you.    LiG