PRR Harbor Tug

Screwy Nick

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the Bitts, Ballards, Handrails and Lockers. Still some detail to go. The flag was missing from the kit, but I'm sure when I call Tuesday they will happily send me one.  
Happy Memorial Day, keeping in mind the reason for the day.          Life is Good

fullsizeoutput_3b7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3b8.jpeg

DSCN0981.JPG

DSCN0982.JPG

I realized I need to secure the bollards so they don't pull off and loose the barge.   They are really 6 separate pieces glued together. The only way I can see to make it secure would be to use a very thin screw, 1 3/4" long, and go all the way from top through the deck with a nut under. Unless someone has a different idea, I'm open to suggestions. Also decided to use a bit of foam between the motor platform and hull. With the motor platform laid directly on the hull the noise and vibrations were really loud. Still having fun. LiG

DSCN0989.JPG

DSCN0988.JPG

The results of securing the Bitts and Bollards. With a very small bit drilled all the way through, to later follow with the right size for the threaded rod. As you can see if not perfectly centered the countersink of the top nut will need more care filling in. On the other side I got over confident, breached the side. and damaged the deck. Was able to straighten the hole and made that right. First I used wood glue to hold the washer and nut on my finger, on the second one I used a drop of oil. I liked the glue better. With them on my finger found the bottom of the rod and turned the rod sticking out the top to get it started. Added the top nut. Using a 3/16" box wrench snugged up the nuts under the deck. Ground the top of the rod flat. I Bondo-ed the Bollard side, top and the deck of the first one, then touched them up. Need to concentrate more to keep the drill centered on the dowel. The other three went without incident. On the rear I had to remove the rudder to allow the prop shaft to be slid out of the way for hand access. The forward Bitt was easy, lots of access under the deck. The rear Bitt was another story. Had to remove the rudder servo, aft servo bracket and cut out the back panel to get fingers under the Bitt. I should now be able to tie off without fear of loosing my tow.  
Connection slowed down, will post more pics later LiG

fullsizeoutput_3be.jpeg

DSCN0991.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3bf.jpeg

DSCN0994.JPG

DSCN0996.JPG

DSCN0997.JPG

DSCN0998.JPG

DSCN1003.JPG

DSCN1002.JPG

DSCN1004.JPG

DSCN1004.JPG

Sean I tried, longest the hobby shop had on hand was 1 1/2".  Even a slotted screw would have been easier, hold the nut under the deck with the little wrench and tighten top with a screwdriver.  Had to settle for what I could walk out with.  And, yes a lot of work, and still more to come.  filling the tops with Bondo and sanding.  Tops will be a little rounded, then painting.  There are items offered at Harbor, but again would need to be able to work my hands under the deck to attach the buts, just couldn't. OH if I had thought of this before installing the deck.  This was another lesson where lack of dexterity leads to more patience.  The older my hands get the more that becomes the norm.   I think it was designed as a stand alone sailing model, not really to tow anything, NOT MINE.  LiG

Made a little progress past week. Couldn't dye the provided nylon thread so got some at the local craft shop. Aligned and adhered the motor platform to the hull. Attached 10 tires to one side, stil not sure if I'm going to keep the present spacing. LiG

DSCN1027.JPG

DSCN1031.JPG

Sean, thank you very much.   She came to live with me when she was 8 years old.  We had seven wonderful years.  The little girl was actually born in Ireland, I previous owners gave me all of her import and duty papers.   LiG

First launch in bath tub. With no weight in the hull, only running gear, with the superstructure added it listed to either side. Added two lbs distributed evenly bow and stern it didn't list anymore. The rolling test, lean over to where the water is to the blawark and release, it righted it self. But it was still sitting much too high in the water, the propeller was almost half out of the water. Off to Harbor Freight for more Steel Wheel Weights. LiG

DSCN1074.JPG

DSCN1076.JPG

DSCN1077.JPG

I added about 5.5 lbs of weight, total weight of tug is above 11 lbs, kitchen scale only goes to 11 and it shows err.
It is balanced and level at the water line. The prop only produces cavitation between medium and hight speed, with the propeller totally under water it seems fo be pretty strong. Next is to test the R/C range as I previously described and then an open waterway. LiG

DSCN1107.JPG

DSCN1104.JPG

Sean, thank you for your interest.  Next update may take a bit.  Scuffled with a table saw, needless to say saw won.   More serious injury to the glove.  I took a few stitches and a fracture of 1 finger.

Life is Good.