Slow running Lionel 4-4-2

RHands

I am running a Lionel 4-4--2 and it is slow and weak.  Other engies move right along especially when I run both sides a MRC dual transformer to the track.

Is this typical?   'Any possibility I have locomotive that needs AC power?  rhands

No...Lionel large scale locomotives use DC power only...it's stamped on the bottom cover of drive block. Try cleaning the drive wheels with a q-tip dipped in alcohol, lacquer thinner or some suitable solvent. And don't forget the backside of drive wheels where carbon power pickup brushes rub.  

Thanks for the info, indeed it is so marked on the engine.  Found out last night with the dual MRC transformer connected speed was sluggish, but when I added an LGB transformer (small grey unit); (3 units total) it took off like a scalded hound, well maybe a beagle tracking a rabbit.  Very acceptable but I am not sure about the consequences of hooking 3 transformers to the track.  I believe my wiring is adequate, it is 2 16 or 18 ga wire running to each rail (4 per track) and a 20 foot run.   I have cleaned and physically buffed the tires with a Dremel fine grit buffing wheel    If it would help I could measure track voltage with and without load.   Also could probably get the amperage under load.  I would like to figure out wha'sup rather than throwing transformers at it.

Hmm...more power! Do you try with the smoke turned off? I wire my layout with 12 gauge min. Dual MRC...which one? The old gold models were HO only and won't put out enough voltage/ current. I have a USA Trains Power 10 and it'll run my Lionel engines just fine in conventional. 

http://charlesro-com.3dcartstores.com/store_rtp10.html

• 4 months later...
On 1/27/2019 at 11:40 PM, RHands said:

Thanks for the info, indeed it is so marked on the engine.  Found out last night with the dual MRC transformer connected speed was sluggish, but when I added an LGB transformer (small grey unit); (3 units total) it took off like a scalded hound, well maybe a beagle tracking a rabbit.  Very acceptable but I am not sure about the consequences of hooking 3 transformers to the track.  I believe my wiring is adequate, it is 2 16 or 18 ga wire running to each rail (4 per track) and a 20 foot run.   I have cleaned and physically buffed the tires with a Dremel fine grit buffing wheel    If it would help I could measure track voltage with and without load.   Also could probably get the amperage under load.  I would like to figure out wha'sup rather than throwing transformers at it.

I know that this is an old post, but perhaps you will see my reply. I have a Lionel 4-4-2 Atlantic that also initially ran poorly when I got it from eBay. The problem was resolved by cleaning the insides of the drivers and also the outside rims. That worked for a while but eventually operation was somewhat jerky. I finally removed the carbon brushes from inside of the drivers and made some flat brass fingers to contact the inside of each driver. The previous owner had changed the tender wheels to metal one and I wired those for track pickup as well. That solved the problem.

This locomotive will draw on the order of 1-1/4 amps when underway and somewhat more when pulling a combination. My layout is inside of the second floor of my barn and I use 10 gauge wiring to feed about 150 feet of track. My power supply is DC and home built with dual range of either 5 or ten amp. It has ammeters and voltmeters on each side of dual cabs, A and B. Regardless of your power supply, you should have larger than 16 or 18 gauge wires feeding the track.

Hope you read this.

Atlantic 4-4-2 003.JPG

Atlantic 4-4-2 008.JPG