Need info. on Kern Valley RR. models

rbrown7713

I just purchase 3 Kern Valley RR. heavyweight passenger cars and would like to know some history of Kern Valley RR.  Did they build the models? Was Custom Model Products involved?  The seller said that these were the only ones built by Kern Valley RR.  I looked this RR up on the web and it seems that this was a full scale railway, so if anyone knows or has any information on these 1:32 heavyweights, please let me know, thanks.  I will try to upload some pictures, Bob.

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

They look good to me, that's why I bought them.  The seller said that he paid 500. each.  They are very detailed with interiors and battery powered lighting.  The trucks look nice, and that is about all that I know so far until I get them.  He said that he paid 150. each for the boxes that they came in.  I bought them to pull behind my T1, so now I have 4 heavyweights, so far.  I will add some of my heavyweights later. I will send more pics. when I get them. Bob.

I found out who built the cars, Walt Perman, the head of a small group of craftsman under the name of Custom Model Products.  These models were to be sent to Korea for the purpose of making molds for brass models and for some reason, that didn't happen.  Walt Perman died a few years back.  I found this out from the person that I bought them from.  Any more info. will be appreciated, Bob.

Yes very nice cars...or so the pictures show!

I do remember CMP advertising in Garden Railways several years ago...I always thought they were somehow in cahoots with Accucraft?? I remember they advertised 1:29 Amtrak Superliners and all sorts of other rolling stock. Somebody years ago posted they contacted CMP about those Superliners and were quoted something like $1,200.00 per car...maybe more??!!

Thank you for this information.  From what the man said that I bought the heavyweights from, CMP consisted of several craftsmen that worked under contract from various companies making models.  I wasn't aware that they had anything to do with making Superliners, interesting. I will keep hunting for info. about this co.  Maybe they are still in business?  I don't know, Bob.

Thanks Jerry, I think so also.  They will look very nice behind my T1, especially after I make four more. On the Large Scale forum, I came across some pictures of your previous layout after you took it down and it made me sad, I could only imagine how you felt. Bob. And Grant-Kerr, thanks for that info., I went there and was able to extract some more info. from other posts.  It seems the real builder of the heavyweights were Kern Valley RR., not CMP., they bought them from Kern, I believe.   Someone said that CMP had some Superliners that they were selling, maybe made also by Kern Valley RR., would like to find out more about those cars.  Someone said that they were selling for 1200.  If anyone has any more info about these cars, or any models that Kern or CMP made or sold, that would be great. Bob.

Here are some more pictures  of the heavyweights with the lights on. There was lots of damage to the cars and had to repair some of trucks. One of the cars has sprung trucks and they are pretty neat. One of the cars is set with running water into one sink, can you believe that?  Little too much for me.  I guess somewhere there is a switch and you can look through the window and see a spigot with water coming out of it into a sink, and the water runs out onto the ground.  I like the diaphragms, still not close enough for me, but they look good. Kern valley had a unique way of diffusing the light so that it spread the light out and not spotty.  They uses a square piece of clear plastic, about 1/2 inch, and embedded the lights, about 6 inches apart, so that the light is diffused evenly and they also lined the ceiling with aluminum foil for reflection.  I like that idea and am going to use it in my heavyweights.. Bob.

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

It is very fortunate Bob that you got hold of these in more ways than one: For one Kern valley which apparently began advertising these resin built cars a few years ago (around 2009) in Garden Railway magazine; then apparently stopped producing them shortly after (for what reason I do not know) It may be that the price asked for was too high, or it may be that  modelers in 1/32 scale wanted metal cars instead of resin, For two, It seems from what I have been able to research that these folks at Kern Valley had purchased the molds from a master builder called (of all the names you will agree...) Ralph Brown! So its all in the familly of sorts... Who had passed away. I have been able to locate one of his old sites on internet and it is mind blowing here is a link: http://www.galtran.com/ASCC.htm

It is Also fortunate Bob because: For three, you are an accomplished modeler with resin and molding techniques. So that makes three points  on which this is fortunate.
 I beleive these are very nice cars indeed, at least on a detail level. As for their sturdiness , I can't say, I myself find resin too brittle and fragile all the while being as heavy as metal. Garden railroading is a tough test bed for equipment and only time will tell. At the time I had just started modeling Pennsy in gauge one and was looking for a B 60 baggage car which kern Valley advertised for a while. Then I built my own with aluminum.

I am really glad that you got them as you surely deserve these. I had the luck of being offered a set of J&M by its manufacturer John Waggot a few years ago at a bargain price. I guess Lady Luck finds the ones who deserve good things in life!

Best to all

Wow, I had no idea that the story would turn out like this.  This is great.  I had the pleasure of talking to Ralph Brown several times buying parts for my E-8, and what a pleasant man.  Thank you very much for this wonderful information, as this is like the frosting on the cake.  As for resin being strong, there is no question about its strength and longevity, not a problem and another advantage, no corrosion, and also ease of molding and ability of providing detail, so for me, this is the only medium.  Thanks again for this information. Bob.

I am sure that well handled and with the right products and know how to mix it and work it it does give good results. I am just biassed from a resin kit of an HO french locomotive I bought and tried to make good in the late eighties, it warped a bit and could never be made into a good running loco, ever since I shied away from it. But having been a scene designer and having seen it handled by people who know how to handle it it does seem to have great advantages for the modeler. AZlso in gauge one one can use fiber glass to make it stronger.