Train Robberies (from yard)?

allanGEE

Does anyone run their train(s) -- or a portion of the rail line -- as a "decoration" for their yard?   In other words, running on it's own, without supervision, to entertain passers-by?

And, if so, how worried are you about engine and/or car theft?

I'm not sure how many run them outside for display for the public at their homes.  There are definitely those that run them in public displays in malls and some outside.

Theft could be a problem depending on the area. 

Another item of concern is wear on wheels&wheel flanges, gears, track (if brass track).

if the engine is diesel like by USA Trains or Aristocraft it will have plastic gears which will eventually wear out.  USA trains replacement axles/gears are always readily available and replacement is pretty easy.  Aristocraft parts arent available and because of difficulty in repair, you would want to replace the whole motor block.  I wouldnt use Aristocraft for this application.  MTH diesels have all metal gears so those should last much longer.  But eventually motor bearings etc will wear out.  You will want to regularly lubricate axle bearings and even motor shaft bearings I would say once a week at least.

Brass track on public displays is known to wear out in curves.  So I would go stainless steel.

I run outdoors all year and 'never' had a problem-even with the back alley and continuous passerbye's who look, some take longer as well.  

You can see the drone pics for the PAZ and I do the occassional consist on the tracks overnite if the weather will be nice for a day or two.

Not saying we havn't had vandalism, just not with the trains.

have met so many wonderful people with my outdoor trains run mine next to main highway and side road no problem with theft or vandalism people stop all the time to see triplexs -challengers-bigboys coupled to pull freight and passenger cars wont say if left out as that may invite unwanted guests p.s. they bring grandkids back to watch

Guy I knew that lived about 15 miles west of Chicago had his big Bridgewerks Magnum 4000 4 track power supply that cost over $2,000.00 stolen out of his backyard while his trains were running! He stepped into his house for a few minutes leaving the trains unoccupied and when he came back it was gone! :Angry_Emoji_large(24x24):  

Back around 2008 on MLS there was a topic about thieves in various areas of the country that was stealing peoples track out of backyards and selling for scrap.