Realistic ballast to use for gauge one?

rbrown7713

I use a 3/8 granite ..here they call it rice stone, as long as it's not rounded (pee stone is NO good ) it has to lock into each other.

Stone dust is another, I use to get it from Home Crapo, in bags, it will splash up onto the tracks...

Thanks Sean, I found some at Seffner Rock and Gravel, they call it 3/8ths granite, but some of the rocks are too big, so I think I will screen it to get rid of the big ones.  5 Gal. bucket for 5 bucks.  I will sprinkle cement over it to solidify it in place, hope that works. Bob.

Here is Pea Gravel straight from the stone yard.   Pics of short sections to test the durability of different dilutions of white glue.  These have been weathered for 3 years now.  Still haven't decided if I'm going to do the whole layout.   The other difference is the wood I used, one is coated cedar and the other is pine.   LiG     

DSCN0921.JPG

DSCN0923.JPG

Bob, it's just Elmers diluted 40% glue 60% water.  What you are looking at has been sitting on my back deck for 3 years, (no overhang or roof) rain, snow even water puddled on top, still hard.  I overturned and tapped them to knock off the debris so the stone would show better.  Still very tight.  The track is nailed to the wood.   Your layout already looks great, this will make it OUTSTANDING.  LiG

• 3 weeks later...

Bob, I use #2 chicken grit. Available at all feed stores and its really cheap. It has a nice gray color and is the right size. I've used plastic cement (concrete) and have had good and bad results. I don't think there is any water based glue that will stand up to rain. Take a look at it.

On 5/6/2019 at 3:16 PM, xl_special said:

I don't think there is any water based glue that will stand up to rain.

To my surprise it did live up to it's claim, 3+ years so far.  Just like water based paint, the properties change when it dries/hardens.  Like the commercial said "better living through chemistry"  LiG

fullsizeoutput_3b5.jpeg

Bob

The Titebond III will be good .. you can easily break it up if need be ,

Titebond when soaked in is a little flexible ( use some dish soap , and mix 50/50 ) you can  adjust the mix to your liking.. 

I usually will do this on the outside of the gravel to hold the loos middle gravel in place, like a wall, letting the gravel drain thru the bottom and let the track move or expand .

The Portland cement forms a hard skin ( if  you sprinkle it on top, or hard as a rock when mixed in with grout) 

Looking at your first video's cover shot, I see rails ..I do not think you need the Titebond III to keep it in place... You did incorporate water letter outers... didn't you ...

After hardening these samples had soaked several times, but I never picked at them during, Now that dried again, hard as rock. I hadn't even thought about drainage between the rails, something to consider if I do the layout, or even the main area, thank you Sean.   LiG

Thanks for the info.  I, from the beginning, planned for drainage because of the solid concrete.  I might even drill some holes at the top of the arches to ensure that water can get out.  The drier the better, Bob.

Bob

I just had a thought .. what if you laid some fabric ( weed block ) along the deck so the gravel will not fall between the sections causing separation and keeping the water letter outers gravel free..... Just a thought ..