LGB 12150 switch problems

M Porto

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so thanks for letting me join!  I'm laying out my elevated G Scale track and I'm having  a heck of a time getting my LGB 12150 switches to work consistently.  Sometimes they go, sometimes they don't.  I'm using a 12 volt power supply with an Aristo Train engineer system.  I know they're getting power because like I said, they sometimes work. I am using them to switch on each button push and like I said, they're not consistent. Any ideas?  Thanks.  

Hi there, welcome :)

My guess is the power supply either doesnt have enough voltage and/or not enough amperage output.  I believe the recommended voltage range for the LGB switches is 15-18v.  Consider trying a power supply with a bit more voltage and ensure it has say 1 to 2amps worth of power output.

What is the amp rating of the power supply that you have?

Raymond

Is your power supply 12v(noted first) or 13.75v?

If the power supply is labeled as 12v then figure it is 12v.  If you are measuring 13.75v with a volt meter then that is likely under no-load.   If 12v then I can see that being low enough to cause the switch machines to fire intermittently.  The 1.75amp is plenty sufficient.  

Are you using an AC or DC power supply for the switches?

It’s labeled 12volt but the back says 13.75 volt. It’s dc. I have the Crest 10amp 18 volt ps that powers the track. I’ll connect the switches to that and see how they work. I thought it was too much power but guess not. 

Yes good idea, try the main power supply.  If that works you have your answer and honestly you could just go with that (assuming the switch machines sound ok).  If you end up using the main power supply, I would add something like a 3amp fuse inline from the power supply to the main wire to the switches just in case there is a failure or something.  

Ok here’s the complication: the Aristo controller ART-5475 which I’m using with the Train Engineer only handles 5 to 16 volts. If I feed it 18 won’t it burn up?

I would take and feed the 18v power that you have and use that for the switch machines and bypass anything else you have in-between.  You can do this without fuses for the test. (you can go without fuses period but just understand the potential risk)

IT WORKED, I used a variable power supply and when I set the voltage to 100% (which is 16v) all works consistently.  If I lower it down to around 12v, they act erratically as before.  Problem solved, THANK YOU for the help!!