MTH Baggage Car Build

Jerry B44

I got this MTH passenger shell off ebay. It had no roof/doors/truck. Been thinking about a baggage car, so cut the openings, filled in the windows and put a thin metal strip across them. Trying to retain the lettering, so it matches.  Made the roof out of a 3/4" board I rand the router over, then cut it some at an angle on the table saw and sanded it, still needs some work. I had some Great Trains 1/32nd trucks that I will use. I'll run a 'riveted' strip of metal duct tape along the top and bottom of the metal strip. I had some paint mixed to match MTH's idea of UP color, lumber yard did a good job, adjusted the mix some from the scan.

post-49-0-65774700-1386648664_thumb.jpg

Really nice, I'm doing the same thing. The SP Baggage car is made from 2 MTH reefer shells. I made the roof from 2 MTH caboose shells that I'm turning into an SP Bay window caboose. Makes you wonder why MTH did not come out with a baggage car. The E8A in the background is kit bashed from Great Trains F units and is powered by NWSL trucks. Jerry, I have a ton of the correct red stripes (decals) if you need them for your doors.

post-66-0-47758400-1386715454_thumb.jpg

Jerry, I don't have any MTH Caboose trucks. I got a pair on one of the MTH cabooses I got on Ebay. I was unhappy with how high they made the caboose sit. So I cut them up, made molds of all the parts and then cast new trucks which use Gary Raymond 33" wheels. The also have the oil bushing installed. The caboose is now lowered to where it should be. I DO HAVE a set of MTH passenger metal wheels (4 axles) which might work under that new baggage car of yours. And the price is right, just pay for shipping and they're yours (FREE!!!)

• 3 weeks later...

I used some Nashua brand metal duct tape for the roof, embossing seams in it. Also used it for the 'rivet' pattern strips I embossed to cover the seam. Doors and trucks are old Great Trains parts I had. I plan to use this as a battery car with a Rail Boss Rx in it when I pull the MTH train with non-MTH locomotives.  Paint does not quite match what MTH thinks UP yellow should be. I tried all the brand name paints and they didn't match, so had the shell scanned and some color mixed at the lumber yard. Will gloss it up a bit, since it is pretty flat.  The right door slides to allow me to insert a battery. Roof right now is a interference fit and may just leave it that way. There are wood blocks that line up with the mounting holes, so can screw it down if I want.

post-49-0-00879800-1388682777_thumb.jpg

Really nice, I love the roof and your rivet details. Where did you get the "Railway Express Agency" decal? Actually looks pretty good sitting on those Great Train trucks. The yellow is close enough, NICE JOB!

Thanks xl,

My wife cut me the REA lettering, when she had her vinyl sign business. Hope to get the F7 shell, when you can get to sending it.  Still looking for a drive unit for it. NEver did hear back from NWSL about their two axle drive, and MTH won't sell drives, just exchange, if you have a problem with one of their locos.

• 3 weeks later...

I ran the Economy Southern Pacific Baggae car thru the paint shop. It came out pretty good, but those dry transfers are not fun to use. They crack and just don't look as good as decals. Does anyone else have this problem?

post-66-0-23740700-1390436839_thumb.jpg

Car looks good!

I don't care for dry tansfers either. Stan makes white decals, or Del can cut you viny lettering. On the vinyl, he can send it to you as a  mask. the letters are not there, just their negative space, you adhere the vinyl, the paint the lettering area and pull the vinyl off and you have nice painted letters.