Question on DCC

ol coot

To clarify for anyone reading this later, the question is can a DCC equipped locomotive (with DCC decoder board installed) operate on just analog DC track power.  The answer is it depends on the DCC decoder, some can run on DC Analog, some can't.  It depends on whether the decoder is dual mode (DC & DCC) or single mode (DCC only).   MTH PS3 boards (which have DCC decoders built-in) for example can operate on DC analog.  

Also note that an engine classified as "DCC ready" means that it is setup to accept a DCC Decoder but that decoder is NOT installed.  Expect that most (if not all) DCC ready engines are setup to run on DC analog power.

All great answers. But also I wanted to mention that most people who run DCC disable the option to run on DC. This is so that if the DCC signal isn’t immediately detected as DCC, the locomotive won’t take off at full speed! So if you buy a used locomotive with DCC installed, you may need someone with a DCC system to re-enable the DC option CV.

the locomotive I have is a Buchman climax that has a factory installed Dcc and soundtrax / tsurami sound.

I have no other imformation than that. It was a gift from a friend.