THE END OF AN ERA

mogul#6

HI, IT IS TOO BAD THAT G SCALE TRAIN HOBBY HAS SEEMED TO COME THE END OF THE TRACKS. TALKING WITH ONE  OF THE  OLDER GUYS IN THE HOBBY  [ BEFORE HE PASSED] HE TOLD ME THAT HE UNDERSTANDS WHY THE MANUFACTURERS ARE NOT BUILDING ANYTHING NEW THAT IS BECAUSE NONE  OF THE CURRENT PEOPLE IN THE HOBBY WANT TO PAY ANY THING . THEN HE WENT ON TO EXPLAIN THE THAT THE PEOPLE THAT WERE TRULY INTO THE TRAINS THEY GREW UP WITH HAVE MOSTLY GONE TO THE BIG STATION IN THE SKY SADLY. AND THIS LEAVES TO FEW  PEOPLE LEFT TO SUPPORT THE HOBBY . SO HE TOLD ME, SADLY THE THE END OF AN ERA!!!!   HERE 'S THOSE WHO HAVE LEFT US , GOOD LUCK IN HEAVEN AND GOD BLESS YOU   YOU WILL BE MISSED,,,  RICH

G scale has always been a small market.  Has it shrunk?  Could very well be, but I can say sales for MTH has been good enough that MTH is now moving forward with their new SD70ACe in G scale, announced in the thread below.  They had the prototype developed some time ago but were waiting for the economy to recover from the last recession.  USA Trains is rolling out a UP FEF 4-8-4.

So things are still moving in G scale, they just move much slower because of the low sales volumes.  The sales volumes aren't there to support the profits to reinvest in new tooling every couple of years.  As a result new tooling gets stretched out to much longer time intervals.   To add to the discussion points, G scale's wow factor of size also creates a downside which is customer limited storage space which I think also contributes to lower quantities of engines and rolling stock that each customer owns.  

Lets not forget the problems from China. A lot of different scales felt the effect of the sudden shutdown of a large producer. My understanding is USA trains has recovered tooling and found a new build shop and will be starting up the ultimate line again. But I do agree the large size limits the amount of rolling stock 1 person might own.