Mason Bogie

Been working on my mason bogie tender and cab while waiting on styrene tube and sheets from plastruct. Got the tender fitted to the cab and both sanded and primed, using aircraft aluminum prime as it was a very fine spray and was sandable + seemed to fill the voids in well. Got the goal old eztec load cut and fitted and covered on top of the original one with real Pennsylvania coal glued on with tile bond III. Added Crip for coal as per drawings I have been working off of. Do think it a little strange that the cage meant to hold the wood in place was also surrounded by sheeting for coal + the fact the engine has a wood burning stack but was coal fired. Must be one of those either or engines. Next on my list will be to paint it with final colors and add detail parts and then on to the chassis. More to follow1400018096_MBrrwithcoal.thumb.JPG.7ec7f31abbe2f2fde2661399c3cef0b7.JPG1648688060_MBleftfrontsidewithcoalload.thumb.JPG.e3ec4cbed1c4a9a79c6ac213391a16c5.JPG881552878_MBlrwithcoalload.thumb.JPG.d95d240974335ad84815a1e98e534ae8.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Got the cab, tender, cowcatcher mounting plate and cylinders done, the cab and tender are screw to the deck plate for fitting purposes and will be removed for painting later. Now time to plan articulation, which should be fun 

MB corner rear with bogie.JPG

MB side shot with orange bogie.JPG

MB leftside front cowcatcher and cylinders.JPG

willy, if it's any help:  Accucraft's Mason is actually pivoted on both the drivers and the tender wheels, unlike the swing as on an articulated locomotive.  The pic shows the pivot on the drive is between the first and second drivers.  LiG 

DSCN1242.JPG

DSCN1243.JPG

DSCN1244.JPG

Nick, Beautiful engine, yours? Mine will as also just have to dream up a pivot for it and it will mount in the center of the upper top where the 6 holes are just above the center driver.Thanks for the pictures, if you have any that are from the top/side and show the pivot point that might be helpful, Bill

MB cow catcher from the side.JPG

3 hours ago, Screwy Nick said:

Bill, yes it is mine.  It's a live steamer so I would have to do quite a bit if dismantling to get to the top of the frame, sorry. LiG

Lucky dude, no I wouldn't want you to do that, maybe a picture from the side between the chassis and the top, I am so envious!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Further progress on the mason bogie, boiler painted using cab light green and missed with silver over spray and the fire box I added rivets and colored both it and the smoke box with a dark gray metallic graphite. Pretty much most of the detailed fitting is done allowing a better look at the articulation suspension. which will be next along with the coloring of the running boards. Domes are done and screwed to the boiler with single 8/32 screw and leaving only the bell to be built and fitted to the top of the boiler. More to come, Bill 

MB boiler painted 1 quarter view from the front.JPG

MB boiler painted from view.JPG

MB boiler painted side view.JPG