MTH DCS Explorer for battery power.

rbrown7713

I just watched a video on the new MTH Explorer wifi interface to a smart phone. It is operated by a downloaded app. for my phone.  I think that this is the answer for me when converting locos to battery power.  This unit appears to be smaller than the TIU that is huge to install into a car.  I had to mount it at an angle and redo the car just to fit.  Has anyone installed this unit into a battery powered MTH loco?   Let me know if you have, would like to here about it.  From what I saw, it would install into a car just like the large TIU, but I wouldn't have to alter the car to make room for it.  This unit works with PS2 or 3.  It does have limited controls, but all I need is speed, sound, lights and it controls those.  I would have to mount it so that the aerial protrudes out, but I can figure that out. Sells for about 135.00.  So, anyone have any info? Bob.

s-l225J9YQPTS9.jpg

Bob, I have no problems with track power using a TIU and a Bridgewerks. Seem to get good pickup, occasionally I will run the LGB track cleaner around.  I will admit I don't use a lot of the features, but like to be able to blow the whistle some, adjust volume of smoke and sound and such. Have not run two trains at a time, track is sort of short for that. I do have battery powered locos, usually with a trailing car with the battery and reciever in it, so don't need many. Works fine, do have to keep up on charging stuff. I use the Rail Boss 4 for that, real reliable, easy to work with. Can't do as much with it as fancier setups, but I'm a simple man! :Smiling_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):

On some of my engines, I will run track power, but I am a fan of battery power also.  I just ordered the DCS Explorer and will attempt to use it with a battery, so I will let you know. Bob.

Here is the difference in size of the TIU in comparison to the DCS Explorer wifi unit.  For installation, a big difference.  Will probably make the difference of not having to have an additional car just for the electronics.  Also, I was thinking that since you can store 3 engines it the Explorer and it is so small,  I could install the one in three different engines that I want to run.  There is just 4 wires it could be easily taken out and put into a different engine, just a thought. It would save not having to buy two more Explores also. Bob.

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

No, I bought it from Model Train Stuff, 111.99, best price that I could find. I am starting on the outside track laying, should go faster than I thought, thanks to my jig.  Inside is done, about 200 ft.  Got any SVRR switch you want to sell?  I need two wide radius left hands, and one wide rt. hand. Bob.

Here are some pictures of the Explorer mounted in the coal car of my Challenger. Also remotely mounted the antennae.  Had to reduce the height of the speaker resonator by about an inch.  Batteries are also in the coal car, so, no extra car needed. Bob.

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1841.JPG

No, the skates come off.  I soldered the plus and minus from the battery, through a dpdt, center off, switch, one for charge and the other for power to the Explorer, and then the other plus and minus on the other side of the explorer, goes to the wires that came from the skates to the PS3 module and that is it.  Everything, batteries, Explorer card, and speaker is in the coal car.  Just got everything working great and now I am putting the loco back together, I think.  I tried to get a hold of Ray as I need the washer that goes on the drive wheel that the rods go on. lost one.  Do you have an extra?  The size is ID= 7.25mm and the OD is 11.85, maybe12 mm. thickness is about .58 mm.   Let me know. Bob.

Wow, what happened?  Might check with Ray.  Not sure what a beat up Challenger brings on ebay. Get one for parts?

Check your local hardware store for the washer. The aisle with all the cardboard boxes of items will have some in the right size. Also metric screws.

• 4 weeks later...

I found the valve mechanism from MTH and now am trying to order the upper number boards and rt. and left marker lights.  When I took it apart, I must have put these parts where I could find them and well, I can't find them.  I am trying to order these from MTH. Bob.

I finished the install of the wifi to the Challenger. Here is a video.   BTW. Does anyone know how the Lionel H10 loco's swinging bell operates?  What swings the bell.  I want to swing the bell on the Challenger. Thanks. Bob.