McKeen Car Build

Jerry, thank you.  Found I didn't order enough 'tool boxes' that I modified for the roof vents.  After trial and error finally made a good mold. Tried using the Micro Mark casting product that I have used in the past, but it evidentially expired.  I have cast parts for live steamers using JB Weld, so that's what I did again, now have enough vents for the Combine. Hoping the hobby shop received more #2 screws so I can secure them.  LiG

DSCN1410.JPG

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parts cast using JB can also be drilled and taped.  Used the Kwik for the vents,  use the regular for live steam applications as it is resistant to a higher temp.  Using mold release is a must.  Tempted to try using Bondo for parts that aren't under strain.  LiG

Sean, thank you.  Been all over looking for a darker Maroon but unsuccessful so far.  I did give it a coat of dull coat to knock down the gloss, looks a little better.

Jerry, so far only painted the interior and the seats that can be seen from windows, no plans so far.   I did find a motor man in a box of 1: 29 people.  LiG

DSCN1451.JPG

I mentioned in an earlier post about what I thought may have been a bell on the roof of one but it was painted same color as the roof. I decided to put a bell on one. I remember round bells in school that were painted to match the walls. To me a train bell must be bare brass, so here it is. LiG

DSCN1505.JPG

All pics I have seen the round windows seem to be 'bumped out' just a little, they open and secure same as ships portholes. Made a gauge to cut the length and a depth gauge so the bump is the same all the way around. The book only shows square windows for the Motorman, and they seem to slide open. Now need to paint this one to see how the bump comes out. Have a vague pic of an Erie car, looks like a Red/Pink color. LiG

DSCN1507.JPG

DSCN1512.JPG

DSCN1509.JPG

Sean, the tug was easy, the brass rings surface mounted to the outer bulkhead.  Tried to get small plastic to just fit into the opening so it was flat on the back, but the wall was so thin it wouldn't stay. Used wider strip and when I tried to sand them to be even with the inside wall when I got close they just popped out,  even when I used adhesive, just not enough meat to hold, had to settle for this.  OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS as the other car has 19 round windows.  Ordered watch crystals to fit inside the holes.  LiG

On 10/14/2019 at 9:30 AM, Screwy Nick said:

Sean, thank you.

I would love to to a couple of sharks, if I knew where I could get

1-A-1 power trucks for it, I'm partial to the PRR.  LiG

Sean, Jerry:  I mis-stated, checked the Diesel Spotters Guide, should have been

A-1-A power trucks.  LiG