McKeen Car Build

Sean, I think he used 4 wheel trucks, PRR had some 6 wheel, where only the outer axles are powered, the center axle is just load bearing.  

Jerry, I did get the brass window frames, don't like them. way too big for my taste, and from the pics I've seen the brass is on the inside, book states:  "Exterior surfaces are sand-blasted, primed, carefully puttied, and given four coats of body paint and four coats of varnish". Although some pics in the book, all B&W some round window frames do look a bit shiny, so ?????   LiG

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I measured the windows, ordered the crystals, very easy on their web site. Received them yesterday, packed very well. Made a gauge so they all at the same depth and even all the way around. This one only has 10 round windows, all the rest are squared, so far 2 are in. LiG

DSCN1517.JPG

DSCN1519.JPG

DSCN1516.JPG

I got carried away with putting in the windows and did them all. Forgot about the gold piping and the decals which will need a covering of clear coat. Using a coin as a template cut tape to cover the round and removed the square windows. Found very nice gold striping at hobby shop and applied it, never used it before, do like it. In communication with Stan about the decals. While disappointed in myself, still havin' fun. LiG

DSCN1537.JPG

DSCN1536.JPG

I have a book that shows McKeen also produced 32' trailing cars that were used for additional passengers or "Baggage, Mail and Expressl". The passenger cars were eight wheel configured and the express had either four or eight wheels. .Decided to put a coupler on the back of this one in hopes of scratch building one in the future. LiG

DSCN1540.JPG

DSCN1547.JPG

Jerry, you're right, he does.  The pics I've seen that Bob built are close in size to the lead cars.  I am more attracted to the stubby's.  The 32' car scaled down is 15.5" long.  With the stubby made of wood, the lead car should be able to pull it even with a single powered truck.  Bob did make the point that if I were to add the trailing car, assuming he meant the ones he made, I would have to have both trucks powered.   LiG

Sean, thank you. Do you mean adding a power truck to the trailing car? if so I don't think there would be enough room and it surely wouldn't look right.  I have wired the non powered trucks on the cars I am building as pick ups, using the trailing car as additional pick ups is a good idea, simply a plug between the two. Can never have too many pickups.    LiG 

Jerry Barnes directed me to ModelTrainsSoftware.com, they supply lighting for models. The LED with the bridge rectifier and limiting resistor was cheaper than I used to purchase seperate parts and make my own. The trim ring was the hardest part of the light. LiG

DSCN1572.JPG

Square windows put back in, accessories and roof put back on and I believe this one is finished. The other is somewhat behind this one and will now continue with it. I'll only post the finished product as you've already seen the process. Thank You. Life is Good

DSCN1580.JPG

DSCN1582.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the final look of the McKeen 55ft Pasenger Car,
Now will attempt to build a trailer car. I haven't found any pics, only mechanical drawings. Two are described: 31 FOOT PASSENGER TRAILER which is much the same over all look as the motorized ones, has 4 wheel trucks. BAGGAGE, MAIL AND EXPRESS 31 FOOT STEEL TRAILER, this is depicted with either 4 or 2 wheel trucks. I don't know if any were ever made. If anyone finds pics please post them, thank you. LiG

DSCN1627.JPG

DSCN1631.JPG

DSCN1635.JPG

DSCN1629.JPG