McKeen Car Build

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Cut the first two oval shaped windows and installed the frames. In doing so found out that a large area of that side apparently wasn't. prepared properly for the primer. Other areas may show up as I cut openings for the other windows. LiG

DSCN1665.JPG

And a little more progress: 

Was a nice day yesterday so brought some power tools outside and rough shaped the roof. Realized making the roof of the same wood as the previous cars mede it very top heavy as this one is primarily plastic. Cut out the centers of the aligning base and the first 1" layer of roof, lightened it up by 13oz. Finishing shape will be done by hand using the same guide as the others. LiG

DSCN1677.JPG

DSCN1680.JPG

DSCN1681.JPG

Nice ..you could add some weight between the frame rails .. out of site to help ..

Forgot to mention:  I plumbed and re-shaped the left oval window, wasn't happy with like the look.   

Good fix 

I'm trying something different with the doors. Made them separately with frame surrounding the door and frame surrounding the window opening. Marked locations and removed the area on the car where the clear will ultimately go inside. So far so good.

DSCN1678.JPG

DSCN1687.JPG

DSCN1688.JPG

While aligning the parts, (should have done it long before now) realized I had left out this important part of the build in the previous posts. Matching the roof and the body of the car so it flows as one at any angle and in critical sun light.  First and third are looking down the length of the car.  LiG

fullsizeoutput_3fe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3ff.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_401.jpeg

Very little accomplished, rain diverters on the roof. Jerry is teaching me how to make panels with rivets using foil tape and a pounce wheel.  All new to me so I expect some trial and error before I attempt to put them on the car. LiG