McKeen Car Build

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the rolling chassis. The side frames are from a narrow gauge scratch built car that was never completed. I cut off the center nut casting, drilled and put a screw and nut to secure it to the frame. The BB wheels were the only two in the spare box and the frame is cedar scraps. It needs much more detail like leaf springs and that huge joining beam. It appears to be very high off the track, but I made the frame so the bottom of the trailer is same height as the cars. All suggestions appreciated. LiG

EDIT:  After looking at the pic I turned the screw around so the nut is on the outside to match the other two.  Even though it is bigger I think it will blend better when painted.    

DSCN1830.JPG

DSCN1829.JPG

DSCN1832.JPG

DSCN1836.JPG

I was able to see what I thought were leaf springs on one side of the journal. On the other side could make out what looked like a brace, so took advice I received on another forum and created a brace. With a dusting of primer. LiG

DSCN1857.JPG

DSCN1856.JPG

DSCN1858.JPG

I saw a pic of a McKeen moving a standard box car. Wanted to be able to couple mine to the rest of the cars I have, and maybe even include the Trailer in the middle of a consist, just to arouse interest. This meant installing the couplers at the height of the rest of my cars, factory standard. Didn't like all that empty space and the exposed bracket that connects to the rear truck and on the car and now to the floor of the trailer, so skirts. 
Always open to suggestions. LiG

DSCN1910.JPG

DSCN1907.JPG

DSCN1909.JPG