McKeen Car Build

Bob, I have no idea, does it make a difference?  and can it it be viewed by all??  

EDIT: did some research, learned a few things, I got it right this time, thank you for bringing it to my attention.  Thought if I could view it all could.    LiG

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Screwy Nick said:

Temporarly attached trucks and made a test run.  https://youtu.be/zM_DMpDII_k

I hope this works, haven't made a UTube in many years.    LiG

At first I thought that the body was too high on the trucks but after studying the still color picture I see the front and rear trucks are different, the rear truck has a much thinner frame exposing the tops of the wheels more, car looks great going down the track, congratulations on a great rendering, Bill

Bill thank you,  And the rear is as the wheels are smaller. On the 1:1 McKeen the rear truck was smaller as the front was the driving truck with the engine mounted above it.  Had to size the trucks so the pilot doesn't short the track. The USAT trucks are smaller than the Aristo, yet the Aristo hold the car higher off the rail.  Since the Aristo are bulkier (pic) they fill more space under the car. Still a work in progress as in my past train projects I've been known to totally change direction in the middle. Also I strayed from the original design as my rear truck is the actual driving truck. LiG

DSCN1305.JPG

Sean, thank you.

McKeen Combine: Power truck alone ran very smoothly. With the added weight of the car, 4lb 3oz, the second trip through a turnout in reverse the axle slipped out of the side frame. Since I mated the USAT power brick and support bracket with Aristo Heavyweight side frames the frames were further from the brick than the USAT and the axles weren't as deep as if it had the original sides. I narrowed the support bracket 1.5mm on each side, can barely see the difference between the left, stock, and right, modified sides. Not trusting adhesive I used 0-80 screws to hold it together. I also added thrust bearings (McMaster Carr) between the trucks and car bottoms. The support bracket on the rear truck was brought to my attention, so all supports are now painted black. LiG

DSCN1302.JPG

DSCN1303.JPG

DSCN1304.JPG

DSCN1298.JPG

Drilled the floor and added jumpers to the trucks so power can also be picked up in the front. May possibly remove the sliders in the future.  Coated wire openings with liquid tape to protect wires from abrasion on the metal floor.    LiG 

DSCN1306.JPG

DSCN1307.JPG

DSCN1313.JPG

Passenger car: I am using Aristocraft powered trucks on this one, fore and aft. Since they have a rounded riding surface on them I'm not using thrust bearings. adhered a piece of plastic to the bottom for them to ride on. As you can see I already drilled for the wires passing through and insulated with liquid tape, this time I also added shrink wrap to the wires. After I took the pics I painted the bottom leaving a circle unpainted where the trucks will ride.

Combine car:  I added rain diverters to the roof.  LiG

DSCN1319.JPG

DSCN1320.JPG

DSCN1317.JPG

While looking at the cars I am building, something seemed to be missing?? The area under the car where the center doors and steps are. Copying the Aristocraft design I assembled a couple of boxes from left over plastic that will be screwed to the bottom of the cars. LiG

DSCN1326.JPG

DSCN1324.JPG

5 hours ago, Screwy Nick said:

While looking at the cars I am building, something seemed to be missing?? The area under the car where the center doors and steps are. Copying the Aristocraft design I assembled a couple of boxes from left over plastic that will be screwed to the bottom of the cars. LiG

DSCN1326.JPG

DSCN1324.JPG

Nice

Nick, I can see from the underside 3 dimples each set on one side and one on the other, seem to correspond to the seating inside, so are these spot welds and if so how where the accomplished?

13 hours ago, Screwy Nick said:

Bill, thank you.  Paint really made them, just scraps of plastic glued together.  LiG

DSCN1322.JPG

Clear plastic, very unusual, looks great

I appreciate all comments, that is how I strive to make a better model. I decided to see if I could lower the body on the combine to more hide the bolsters.  I was able to take the car down 2.5mm, which still gave the pilot just under 2mm of clearance.  Also took out some of the side to side rocking to further keep the pilot off the rails. Attempting to compare pic's at the same angle. I more like the look. LiG  

DSCN1336.JPG

DSCN1338.JPG

Nick you are you planning on running track power ..if so I would try to put some type (plastic ) insulator on the underside of that cow catcher .. It looks to be made out of metal ..we do not want to change your name to sparky.... :Smirk_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):