McKeen Car Build

Bob, I shaped the new roof and like the look.  I AGAIN sanded first roof.  I did this in the garage with the door open and set up a pole fan to keep blowing the dust out the door. Glad I did as the dust from the resin burned my nose and eyes.  LiG

DSCN1212.JPG

DSCN1213.JPG

DSCN1214.JPG

DSCN1215.JPG

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean, had to read that couple of times before it made sense.  

I still need to round out the roof a little more.  The high areas are actually the dense grain in the wood.  I can better see these areas after priming and will make finish sanding easier.  My Backward Step:  Found a product called TRIPLE THICK made by DecoArt.  Going to apply that to #1 roof.  LiG  

DSCN1216.JPG

After several prime, sand, prime again, sand again, etc. finally got #2 roof where I want it. Smooth and NO irregularities. Now to add to it's signature look with all those roof vents. Still making progress on #1. LiG

fullsizeoutput_3d2.jpeg

DSCN1235.JPG

DSCN1236.JPG

DSCN1237.JPG

Sean, thank you.  Bob Thon of Robert's Lines sent me a copy of a receipt for roof vents he purchased in 2010. Did some research and found a descendent of the original owner and he is still in business. He makes parts for Pre War Lionel trains  david@trickelcastparts.com  and the parts are actually listed as Tool Boxes. Received them and they are beautiful and will only need minor modification to comply with the roof contour. LiG

DSCN1230.JPG

DSCN1231.JPG

OK, now since you have the roof so perfect, it is time to make a mold for the roof so that other people that want to build one of these cars can have a nice roof, and make some money too, just a thought. Bob.

Jerry, my failure at just trying to coat the #1 roof with resin is an example of how little I know about working with that medium.  I'm still trying to finish that one as I ordered a full passenger car.    LiG

The front truck of the 1:1 McKeen had two different size wheels, front set was 42" dia and the rear set was 33".
Found large wheels in parts box. Disassembled a USAT axle that the gear shaft had cracked. removed the wheels, centered and epoxied the larger wheels to the axcle halves. Used a piece of plastic tubing in place of the broken gear and shaft. For the rear set I used another set of broken gear wheels, just replaced the gear assembly with plastic tubing. Used an Aristocraft Heavyweight 2 axle truck. Moved the power pick up so they both are on the same axle as the larger wheels are also thicker, properly gauged the wheels. Modified the side frames and added a fly wheel. Not too bad at a distance. LiG

DSCN1258.JPG

DSCN1253.JPG

DSCN1254.JPG

DSCN1267.JPG

DSCN1063.JPG

The Mckeen bug bit me. Received another body, this one is all passenger. Bob of Robert's Lines explained they are hand assembled so there are minor differences from one to another. This one the top width was a bit different from the floor and different from the top of the other one. Simple fix to widen the body at the top, sides are now 90' to the floor. The first roof now fits with minor adjustment to the nose. I tried epoxy on the supports but stressing made the connections fail. I soldered them with high tin content solder and acid flux. Now filling in the weld dimples to bring this one up to the combine. Once that's done I can go further on both at the same time. Bob also mentioned there may be 100 different versions of the McKeen LiG

DSCN1275.JPG

DSCN1277.JPG

DSCN1278.JPG

Purchased an Aristo FB unit for the power trucks from forum posting, falsely advertised as LIKE NEW.   Repaired broken axle/gear assembly to fix wheel wobble.  Modified side frames to better match truck of that period, painted grey.  I like the height of the Aristo truck a bit better than the USAT, but the Aristo does look a little big.  Will have to decide which to use, or a combination of both, Pic shows Aristo front and USAT rear.  LiG

DSCN1285.JPG

DSCN1286.JPG

DSCN1284.JPG