McKeen Car Build

Passenger: Fashioned and attached doors. Holding further enhancements , Bob Thon of Robert's lInes sent me a few pages of a book he has about the McKeen's. I did a search and found "1972 reproduction of a 1912 publication". Anxious anticipation. LiG. 

Edit: thank you Dwight Ennis for helping me get the video posted correctly.  

DSCN1363.JPG

DSCN1365.JPG

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean, that is the appeal for me.

Jerry, each has only one power brick,  the passenger has an Aristocraft in the front and the combine has a USAT in the rear.   At 10V the Aristo draws 0.41A and the USAT 0.22A.  Both on the same track, same voltage the Aristo runs faster than the USAT, possibly because of the larger wheel diameter.  Just havin' fun.      LiG

Sean, That's a good one.  
   Was getting ready to paint the trucks Dark Olive Green as the manufacturer brochure states. Realized the Aristocraft power truck I am using has sealed roller bearing journals, wrong time PERIOD. The correct journals would be the square type. Found a discarded freight truck, cut the covers off, adhered them to the ends and filled in around to square off the journal. Much happier with the look. LiG

DSCN1387.JPG

DSCN1391.JPG

"Ventilating that permits a complete change of air every 4 minutes. Air intakes on the car forward roof directs air to the floor, exhausted by ventilators on the roof.". Taped a piece of emery to a pipe about curve of the roof to shape the bottom of the vents. This is the approximate location of them on a 55ft car. Some pics show a round device on the forward right side, I think it is a bell, but it is painted which gives me a doubt. Also saw one with a horn looking device on the front roof. Once I decide the locations are OK I'll fill in the counter sunk screw holes and paint the roof. LiG

DSCN1400.JPG

DSCN1401.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3da.jpeg

Book states that water circulation is provided for cooling the engine and also heating the compartment. The drawings don't show it and the old pics are too vague. Pics of refurbished units clearly show the cooling coils and fan. This is about as close as I could get. LiG

DSCN1416.JPG

As mentioned none of the diagrams showed the cooling fixture. I originally placed the front truck by scaling the drawing. With the cooling fixture added I felt it was too close to the front truck to allow for proper cooling and I just didn't like 'the look'. Moved the power truck 20mm forward, now looks more like the recent photos, liking 'the look' much better. LiG

DSCN1415.JPG

DSCN1423.JPG

You're slow again Nick …

20 hours ago, Screwy Nick said:

As mentioned none of the diagrams showed the cooling fixture.

Then 

20 hours ago, Sean said:

That's "COOL "  

It must be that old age thing ….:Tears_of_Joy_Emoji(24x24):