Bell actuator for loco.

rbrown7713

Bob, sounds like you have a small motor with an eccentric to operate the bell.  If I may suggest a 360' servo, 6VDC,  will run at a constant slow speed and not make any sound.  Heres a pic of the HS325HB servo that I have operating a pump to feed the boiler on my Mason.  

EDIT: just found FiTEC FS90R will also do it.  

DSCN1272.JPG

Yes, I am using the same idea, except I won't have to convert rotary motion into reciprocating motion because I am using a magnet rotating on the servo crank and also a magnet in the bell.  I won't have much room, so I will use a micro servo, an HS-81 servo, converted to 360 degree rotation, which I just did.  I still have some work to do, but I think it will work just fine, if I can find the room for it. The example in the video was actuated with a magnet moved with my hand drill.  The final concept will be a 360 degree servo.  I don't know yet, how to hook it up to the DCS, I will need about 6 volts.  I did order a controller that I can punch a button and it will actuate it, but I would rather use the DCS, but I don't know how to do it.  Anyone know? Bob.

IMG_1858.JPG

Does anyone know the voltages supplied to the Challenger smoke unit?  It has two supplies of voltage, one to the element and one to the fan, with a variable resistor that I can change in the front of the engine.  I am thinking about using the smoke on and off to control the movement of the bell and I am not using smoke because my loco is battery powered.  Any info. would be appreciated. Bob.

I talked to Ray and he told me that I should use the fan portion of the smoke unit and the voltage is 5vdc and that is perfect for my servo.  I will be able to control it, on and off by the smoke control button. I am not using the smoke, so no problem. Bob.