What is Best Paint Brand

RRArtie

Hi all my first post,

I am getting back to the garden railroad after a 5 year absence. Need to do track work for my garage full of locos and cars. I have track and switches from Sunset Valley RR laying in the garage ready to go. I have their hi level switch stands (brass) and would like to paint them. I have done HO since I was 10, but this is the first outdoor layout. I would probably spray paint the frame of the switch stands and either brush paint the targets or spray with lots of masking. What paint holds up out doors. Should I use some of the model paints like Model Masters or Tru-Color or go to Home Depot and buy rustoleum? Is there a UV inhibitor that should go over this paint? As long as we are on the subject what is best for wood bridges and structures? I am looking for color fastness, longevity, and a reasonable in-scale paint appearance.  

Thank you in advance. I searched through this forum and could not find a similar question.   Art

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies. I got JAX Pewter Black for the body of the switch stand. I will see what the color looks like. Maybe not black enough, but was launching and order to Micro-Mark and just added it. I have seen picture from Choochoowilly and see a great paint job from those rattle cans. I also got a bottle of Model Flex Santa Fe Yellow (a little to the orange side of yellow) for the switch stand targets. A rattle can would be over kill for the targets which are about the size of a quarter.  As Screwy Nick suggested I got a couple other colors (rust and grimy black) in the same brand. I may do a little weathering on the switch stands.

Art

• 3 weeks later...

Tru-Color paint for me...and now I hear that they're making small spray cans! 

http://trucolorpaint.com/products/

For black I use Duplicolor by the quart as I go thru a lot of it!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/shw-bsp200

Make my own decals on a Alps printer and use Krylon Crystal Clear Flat for finish coat.

Here's a Aristo SD45 and a USA SD40-2 that I'm just finishing up...these are mine.

Top shell was a blue Conrail SD45 and bottom was a blue & yellow SD40-2.

Both were stripped down bare in my soda blasting booth.  

20190925_134526.thumb.jpg.87e7a7fcbad97c695da3b34e7adaff1f.jpg