RRArtie

What is Best Paint Brand

Hi all my first post,

I am getting back to the garden railroad after a 5 year absence. Need to do track work for my garage full of locos and cars. I have track and switches from Sunset Valley RR laying in the garage ready to go. I have their hi level switch stands (brass) and would like to paint them. I have done HO since I was 10, but this is the first outdoor layout. I would probably spray paint the frame of the switch stands and either brush paint the targets or spray with lots of masking. What paint holds up out doors. Should I use some of the model paints like Model Masters or Tru-Color or go to Home Depot and buy rustoleum? Is there a UV inhibitor that should go over this paint? As long as we are on the subject what is best for wood bridges and structures? I am looking for color fastness, longevity, and a reasonable in-scale paint appearance.  

Thank you in advance. I searched through this forum and could not find a similar question.   Art

I use Krylon rattle cans and have had good luck since 1975 with them, but if you parts are brass why not use "Jax pewter black" it turns stuff and old looking color of black/brown 

My only advice is what ever brand you use, stick to it even with the clear coats.  Previous posts show how badly they sometimes react to each other.    LiG

Thank you for the replies. I got JAX Pewter Black for the body of the switch stand. I will see what the color looks like. Maybe not black enough, but was launching and order to Micro-Mark and just added it. I have seen picture from Choochoowilly and see a great paint job from those rattle cans. I also got a bottle of Model Flex Santa Fe Yellow (a little to the orange side of yellow) for the switch stand targets. A rattle can would be over kill for the targets which are about the size of a quarter.  As Screwy Nick suggested I got a couple other colors (rust and grimy black) in the same brand. I may do a little weathering on the switch stands.

Art