Satin, flat, or gloss finish for my MTHDash-8 ?

Nickatnite

Hello everyone,  

I need some opinions and suggestions on painting my MTH Dash-8.  

I've seen pictures of this engine, as new and they are glossy. I've also seen plenty of older units with satin, or flat paint.  

I could paint it gloss and then use a dull coat after applying the decals. Should I use gloss, or satin ? 

I also wanted opinions on removing old paint. I've tried isopropyl alcohol and oven cleaner with no effects on the paint. I could use something stronger, or like I've always done, just use very fine sandpaper to rub out the decals and prime it. Any thoughts ? Thanks for your time. 

Nick

20190920_073720-1.jpg

Stan Cedarleaf recommends first spraying the model with a glossy coat if it is not already glossy paint. After applying the decals a few light coats with satin makes the decals disappear.  I have used his decals and procedure many times and never an issue.  About removing the paint, been many many postings that work on some manufacturers and not on others. Since it is an MTH product I bet Ray has the solution.    LiG

Thanks for your input.  I was talking about a clear dull coat,  after the decals. Thank also for getting me in touch with Stan regarding the decals. He made me 2 sets of beautiful CN decals,  can't wait to apply them. Never would have found decals without you, or him, so thank you! 

The toughest paint that I've ever come across to remove from a locomotive is MTH. They use a self etching primer that really bites in. What I used to do was completely strip everything out of the shell then submerge the whole thing in a big sealable container of 91% Isopropyl alcohol and let it set a day or two then use various brushes/ toothbrushes and go at removing the paint.

Flat, Matte, Satin or High Gloss...depends on what you want. I stick with flat or Matte.

Well I don't do it that way...never have and never will as believe in stripping and starting over...less paint coats means better showing details. But now I have seen pics on various forums of people doing just the sanding bit and they look just fine but they "hide" the real finish by using camera angles that shy away from reflections etc. Nowadays I blast paint off my trains using a Harbor Tools blast cabinet and a form of baking soda for the blasting media.

Glad you found a stripper that works! I don't like using harsh chemicals as I've burned my hands enough. The alcohol bath isn't as harsh but like you stated...need like 2 gallons to submerge it. I made a container out of big plastic pipe with a cap glued on 1 end and cover on opposite end. 

Personally I like using Harbor Tools Iron Clad self etching primer on bare plastic...cheap but it sprays real nice and dries fast.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-oz-iron-armor-gray-self-etching-primer-spray-paint-60784.html