Superliner Observation car build

rbrown7713

I am starting another Superliner car because sometimes it is too cold to work on the 37 Cadillac in the garage.  This will be a slow build, but I will post updates.  I just ordered some more urethane, have to make some more parts. Bob.

IMG_1967.JPG

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, did I forget to mention the layout Sean?  Well, I am waiting for some track connectors to install the expansion sections that I bought from the German store.  I am using code 250 and the sections they sent me are code 332, so I had to order the Sunset Valley RR adapter connectors.  He was out of them, so they are making some more.  So, nothing to tell about the layout until I get the parts to finish the layout.  I am now mulling over the task on how to mask the windows on the roof of the observation car and will keep updating. Here is a picture of the expansion section.  It appears that it will absorb about 1/2 inch of expansion.  I am using two per track.  Bob.

IMG_1968.JPG

Nick, I will sneak in some pictures.  Not too much to look at because they would look like an exploded view, everything is apart for painting.  I has been a while since I have done any body work, and this is a challenge because the work has to be really block sanded because I am painting this car black and black shows everything.  I am using poly-urethane without clear, so after it is painted, I will have to polish to a shiny surface. Bob.

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

Bob, don't know where to start!  I'm an old 'motor head' as we used to be called in the early 60's, love cars, bikes, damn near anything moves using pistons, gears tires etc.  Reach 74 next month and still service my truck (what doesn't need a computer) and old Harley, can do anything with a wrench on that. Not so good at body work, but certainly appreciate the look and beauty of it.  

Track expander:  seeing the pics of your layout you most likely will need both expanders.   Here in Joisey my Al track in summer expands the whole inch, the SS expands to less than 3/4". I had one full year of seasons before I put them in, everything got totally out of alignment, and absolutely no movement since.   Keep up the great work on both the projects.   LiG

Hello Jerry, yea, too cold to work in the garage on the Cadillac, so I am working on the observation car in the warmth. Here is the type of diaphragm that I will use on the superliner cars. This will allow a closer coupling of the cars to look more realistic, Bob.

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

Thanks Jerry.  By using these, before, useless hook and loop couplers,  makes use of these springs.  They work well, and allows one to make moving diaphragms from solid ones, rather than using cloth or rubber. Bob.

I am going to share my building of an epoxy curing oven.  The window frames of the Superliner are very delicate and when I attempt to scrape the flashing off of them, sometimes I crack them.  I bought some stronger epoxy and that should help.  I also found out that If I post cure this epoxy, it gains 30% more hardness.  That is where the curing oven comes in.  I bought some electronics, a pid controller, spent 110.00 on them and then had the idea that I could make a simpler setup.  I bought a toaster oven, trimmed a wooden box to fit snuggly against the oven.  On the other end of the box is a door, so this is how it works.  I only need to bring the temp up to 120 deg. F.  I turn on the oven to low and with two probes, I can see the temp. at both ends of the box.  So far, there is a 9 deg. difference because of the distance from the oven.  I regulate the temp. by opening the door at the end and slightly moving the stove from the box and have stabilized the temps. at 120 and 129.  I am now adding a little fan to circulate the air to get the two temps. closer.  I am also going to put an additional temp. probe in the mold itself, to make sure that I actually get 120 degrees to the parts.  Here is a picture of what I have so far and will update in the next few days.  Bob.

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

Thanks, but I don't know if I can make these molds work.  I am getting mold lock on one side and because of that when I try to remove them, they are destroyed. I am approaching it from another direction.  I am attempting to make one side of the mold out of silicone, maybe that will help, who knows, Bob.