Superliner Observation car build

rbrown7713

Thank you for the encouragement, it helps. I have been fighting the making of these window frames for a while.  Sooner or later, I will get it right.  I just poured the second mold out of silicone and I hope this time I can get a good part out of it.  It is my fault. In the beginning, when I machined the mold out of aluminum, I didn't use a tapered flat mill.  Should have been about 2 degrees taper.  Had I done that, I wouldn't be having this problem.  I am almost sure, with the other half of the mold being silicone, this will solve my problem.  I, and everybody else, will know in a couple of days. Bob.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am done with the making of the larger observation windows and now I am making the smaller windows for the Superliner coach and the single level Amfleet coach. I will be making 5 more Superliner cars to complete the Superliner consist. Eight cars total. Bob. 

IMG_1998.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much. You will see more of the cars progress shortly.  I am having to repaint the observation car because,  after close observation, pardon the pun, I caught too many flaws in the finish.  Still putting together windows and trying to figure out how to program into Mastercam some Amtrak logos to cut out in blue vinyl.  So, it seems never ending, but I think that I will get there eventually. Bob.

Very nice work. I'm glad more modelers are getting into true 1 gauge. Planning to do windows in model coaches deffinitely takes a lot of patience. I like the choice of III phase for the stripes.

I like the 1/32 for the size/weight. Makes a nice looking long train on my layout with out over powering it. MTH is pretty active in putting out a limited amount of product, but this virus thing will sure mess that up and the bad economy we will end up with may very well see the demise of large scale.