PIKO camelback

markoles

Hey guys,

I was trolling on the PIKO.de site and was looking at their G-scale locomotives.  I happened across this little 0-6-0, and it's one of the first camelback locomotives offered in G scale that I can think of:

http://www.piko-shop.de/index.php?vw_type=artikel&vw_id=17026

Looks a lot like the real thing:

http://abpr.railfan.net/february99/02-05-99/rdg1344.jpg

While still possibly a little on the short/ tall side of things, this camelback is the closest thing I've seen using that chasis from Piko.  Exciting times!

They also are showing a green Reading boxcar, Reading hopper car and a Reading caboose.  Also saw baggage and drovers cabooses based on the short passenger cars introduced last year (that look a lot like the old LGB 3080/ 3181/ 4075 series cars). 

One of the guys who posts a lot of facebook had one of the moguls.  Seems he stripped gears in it twice. 

My general impression of Piko g scale is that it is toy train first and foremost, model second.  The BR-64 may change my opinion on that, and their huge electric crocodile is certainly not a toy.  But the 0-6-0 starter set they've been selling for a few years seems to have room for improvement.  I believe the first US outline 0-6-0 starter set engines had painted black wheels, including the treads, so the only pick up was the sliders.  This seems to have been remedied on subsequent runs. The paint schemes and level of detail on the 2-6-0s and 0-6-0s of the past couple of years is very reminiscent of the LGB, paint as many paint schemes as possible. 

I've sent this link out to my friends in the g scale train club, and more than a few responded positively about this camelback, so I expect that it will be a hit if it ever sees the light of day.  And most of these other 2-6-0 and 0-6-0s seem to be hitting the ground, as well. 

The track looks good to me, similar in quality to the LGB of the past.

• 1 month later...

I bought a Piko 0-6-0. The shop owner told be to start the breakin by running it in reverse for twenty minutes and then continue the breakin in forward.

I don't know the reason, but I have not had any trouble with the drive. It runs very nice.

Tom

:)

It was a good puller. Very heavy engine. I could get 10 cars with it and I have some grades. Well at first it started acting jerky. Sent it in got it back ran fine for a bit. Then it wouldnt go in reverse. I was vey disappointed in the DCC ready tender. No socket just a terminal strip with not a lot of wire.

Chris, so was it electrical or mechanical?  "Jerky" usually means somehow you slipped a gear and got the side rods out of synch.  I had that happen with LGB moguls once or twice. 

10 cars for a little bugger like these would be a lot, I think.